Pending World Record - Brookie - Salvelinus Fontinalis

Nemo

The article writer states:

"Unfortunately, the IGFA has not discovered 21st Century thinking and their outdated "new record analysis" dictates that the fish has to be killed and brought to them, which basically leaves real catch-&-release sportsman like Tim Matheson out of luck. The fish is so obviously bigger that they cannot ignore it for long. Let the controversy begin!"

I doubt there will be much controversy, speculation for sure, but not controversy. The IGFA is in the 20th centry. They have to be in order to declare a fish a world record.

But, since the fish was not kept, and a DNA sample not analyzed , the fish will not be declared a world record. It cannot be in this day and age.

There was a fish up here in the Thunder Bay area caught a few yrs. back which was also thought to be a new record brookie, which looked every inch a brookie. It was caught, and kept. DNA analysis though determined it was a splake.

You never know for sure. Maybe even Dr. Cooks fish was a splake, but back then, fish identification was purely visual inspection. Whatever, that was then, this is now, and his record stands, as it should.

Regardless, nice fish, and I applaud Tim for releasing it. It was his choice to do so.

I don't think I would have though, lol. That record is one of maybe two that I can actually remember for what I fish for, but my guesstimation of size isn't that accurate, and I don't carry scales with me, just a measuring tape, and I would not mind one iota being known for the next 50 plus years or more as the owner of the brook trout record for killing a brook trout that size that was the actual new record.

I am all for catch and release, but I also practice hook and cook for some species.

But, that record, I would dearly love to be able to surpass. Ain't gonna happen, but it would be nice.

Still looks like a brookie to me, who knows, I have never caught one getting near that size to be able to properly dispute it. Biggest for me is a 19" by 12.5" fish, weighed about 3.75 lbs., my personal best.

I mean, when they are that size, who of us are experienced enough to know???

I have those pics saved, and have blown them up on my pc, and all the markings seem to be there. But..........without the DNA analysis, no record will be forthcoming, unfortunately.

Let the speculation begin..........as if it hasn't already started.

not to hijack this thread, but I don't think they'll ever change the record rules to allow live release, because there's too many ways to cheat. (Not that keeping fish stops people from trying, e.g., putting lead weights in the fish's stomach!)

I'm glad he let it go too. To each his own, but I don't care enough about a record to kill a trophy fish.

Mike