Crankbait Rod - Trigger

rbaquial

Hey Addicts,

I'm in the market for a Crankbait Rod - Trigger Style. My only requirement is that its a 2pc.

Here are my questions...

1) What are the usual specifications on a Crankbait rod? (ie: lure weight etc...)

2) Is it advisable to get a 7' rod?

I have a medium-action Trigger rod, that I've been using - but found it has a poor performance for crankbaits. (I don't have the specs on me right now, but will get 'em once I get home from work). Right now, all I can tell you is that its a 6'6" made by BPS "Graphite Series".

...What do you recommend?

Thanks,

A2F (RoB)

i like a 7' medium/heavy rod with a moderate action. gives long casts, and the flex in the rod helps with that as well as aloowing u to feel the lure run in the water and when a fish hits that give allows the hooks to get in and not be pulled from its mouth when fighting it.

i wanted the same type of rod and i did looking around and looking around and i bought the cabelas fish eagle ll 7' medium/heavy and its a 2pc what i wanted and i got it here with the shimano citica baitcaster. i love this setup. perfect for working crank baits.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

its hard finding a decent 2pc baitcaster. you wont be disapointed and you can also get it with a more expensive reel. thats my suggestion, like to here what you get.

A2F, if you can figure out what weight crank baits you want to throw, and your budget, I think you'll get quite a few suggestions from the gang on the board here.

That said, it looks like the Rapala makes a twp piece R-type. Subject to how much money you want to spend, that might be a good place to start.

Cheers

Edited by backbay

A2F, if you can figure out what weight crank baits you want to throw, and your budget, I think you'll get quite a few suggestions from the gang on the board here.

That said, it looks like the Rapala males a twp piece R-type. Subject to how much money you want to spend, that might be a good place to start.

Cheers

Yeah.... good point! :P Guess I had too much work on the mind at the time...

My budget is MAX. $120 + taxes.

BTW... Here are the specs on the MED. TRIGGER rod I have...

MODEL#:GS66MT-2

MAKE: BPS "GRAPHITE SERIES"

LENGTH: 6'6"

PCS: 2

ACTION: MEDIUM

LINE RANGE: 8 - 17LB.

WEIGHT: 1/4 - 5/8oz.

COLOUR: BLACK/SILVER

EDIT: I'm looking to pick one up @ the Fishing/Boat show coming up...

Edited by A2F

Sorry to say A2F but finding a good crankbait rod will be difficult in a 2 piece model. The reason is that the ferrule used in making the split will really impede the action required from a good cranking rod which is typically moderate or moderate fast action. That action translates to a more parabolic, deeper flex in the rods which is virtually impossible to achieve with a 3 inch long rigid section in the middle of the blank.

Otherwise I would totally recommend the Shimano Compre TC4 Cranking series...

As a side note..Compre does have a line of Trolling rods that are telescopic but have a great action and power for throwing bigger cranks, traps and even spinnerbaits... here is the rod model..

CPCTR73MHB - 7'3" Medium Heavy Power, Medium Fast Action, Rated 10-25lb test

The rod does have a bit of a longer handle but that really actually helps when casting bigger baits for distance and will shrink down quite a bit when compressed so travel may be easier with this rod.

Not many people see these rods unless your into boards and riggers but I have put a few of my buddies on them and they love the rods for reaction baits.

JP

Sorry to say A2F but finding a good crankbait rod will be difficult in a 2 piece model. The reason is that the ferrule used in making the split will really impede the action required from a good cranking rod which is typically moderate or moderate fast action. That action translates to a more parabolic, deeper flex in the rods which is virtually impossible to achieve with a 3 inch long rigid section in the middle of the blank.

Otherwise I would totally recommend the Shimano Compre TC4 Cranking series...

As a side note..Compre does have a line of Trolling rods that are telescopic but have a great action and power for throwing bigger cranks, traps and even spinnerbaits... here is the rod model..

CPCTR73MHB - 7'3" Medium Heavy Power, Medium Fast Action, Rated 10-25lb test

The rod does have a bit of a longer handle but that really actually helps when casting bigger baits for distance and will shrink down quite a bit when compressed so travel may be easier with this rod.

Not many people see these rods unless your into boards and riggers but I have put a few of my buddies on them and they love the rods for reaction baits.

JP

JP has hit it on the head. We both throw alot of hard baits and the TC4 rods from Shimano have been awesome. The Compre rods in the trolling Line up are also great for this particular style and they do collapse down to about 5 feet long so travel should be easy enough. If you definitely need a 2 piece rod The clarus and Compre Casting Lineup do have some great 2 piece rods that will throw cranks well. Look at the 7ft M or MH's

If one day you want to go with 1-pc, definitely try out the Compre Crankbait rods. I have been using the 6'6" MH version for years, and I just love it. I also have the St. Croix Premier PC66MM, which handles smaller crankbaits perfectly.

I use a 2-pc spinning crankbait rod: Team Daiwa TD662-3RS (3R means medium action and medium power) for throwing light/shallow crankbaits (e.g. Daiwa Dr. Minnow). I find it perfect for my usage too. I picked up this rod on clearance sale in Canadian Tire, but have never seen it elsewhere since.

Hey,

I am a St.Croix addict. They take the guess work out of rods by specifying each rod for a different technique and actually telling you what technique each rod is made for. The crankbait rod I use is called the Big Cranker. It is a 7' MH rod with a moderate action. The moderate action is really important for any crankbait rod because it lets you set the hook without ripping the bait right out of the fish's mouth. That's my input. Check out my youtube videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/Setthehookwithkyle