Just another fishing story

xeon

Sorry any Soo local pike hunters, I'm keeping my lips sealed on the spot till I catch her.

Well, it all started Saturday afternoon. Me and my buddies all headed out to a fairly well known fishing spot to set up for a half day to do some perch fishing. We get to our spot and pull out the trusty ol' 6'' auger and pop a row of 4 holes in a line. Figuring since we had the underwater camera we'd keep fairly close to see what kind of action was happening on that river. Lets just say its a pretty slow day, but its been awhile since I can remember finding something better to do. The day went on, and not too much was happening, other than talk about future spots to try. We had heard the area did hold trophy sized pike, and were talking about how on the next trip we should take a long walk out to some far mid water structure that might have the potential to hold something. Well, here we sat on a huge sand beach in 20fow jigging away, when the closest jig had something come take a look at it. Something we later calculated to have a head of roughly 10-12''+. An absolute gator of a pike. The fish swam up close to the size 12 jig (smallest size available) tipped with a half inch of worm, and with the laziest of motions, opened its mouth about a half inch and inhaled the jig just enough so the hook stuck in the absolute tip of its mouth/snout. The hook was set and the fight was on. Well, sort of. Knowing the UL rod had 4lb test on, and was in the mouth of one of the toothiest freshwater critters alive, a different approach was taken for this gal. Tiring this fat girl out was not going to happen, and the only way we could even get this thing close to the hole was by letting it forget it was hooked. As we scrambled to rip in 20ft of cable for the underwater camera, and calm our nerves, I heard a "probably just a snot rocket" come from my friend. With my buddy at the rod ready to reel in slack and let the drag burn when necessary, and me at the hole hand-lining this thing in, I could feel it was no snot rocket. It felt as if I were pulling in a cinder block. We actually team-worked this brute to the bottom of the ice. The fish had no idea what was happening and actually seemed pretty cool with the whole ordeal. Only one small run. That was about all of the good news. If you were paying attention, I mentioned something about a 6'' hole. Well, we were all fortunate enough to get a very good look at the fish anyways before the knot broke on the eye of the hook. Probably the most exciting 6-8 minutes of my life, followed by the biggest fishing dream crusher of my life where I realized the hole was too small. But, making the mistakes is what I love about fishing. What kind of stories could you tell if you landed every fish you hooked into? I personally enjoy hearing about the ones that got away... they're learning lessons that give you something to improve on, or do differently for next time. And with everything you learn, you step higher up the ladder of fishing know-how till you're a genuine know-it-all. Something we'd all like to be, but don't have the time to be.

I work as a fishing guide in the summer, and have done allot of muskie and pike fishing. I have never seen a muskie with girth like this, even over 50''. I estimate this fish easily over 45'' and easily in the mid-high 30lb range. And a shhitier way to say it, a potential name in the books for the 4lb test, Line. Class. Record. Without a doubt, this was a world class fish.

Note to self: Bring a 12'' power auger, 100lb test, and mental preparedness for lightning to never strike twice.

Hope you enjoyed reading about my most exciting fishing day ever. I haven't EVER had to sit down for 5 minutes because I was shaking so bad with adrenaline before. What a RUSH.

I'm coming back for you baby, because you know what they say... If you love a fish, let it go, for if it returns, that fish was always yours. And if it doesn't, it was pure luck to begin with.

Edited by xeon

should have brought a gaff!! that could have been a pile of different spots around the sault area!

Haha if you only knew about how many jokes I made about gaffing it. I even was at the trading post in the morning and saw their only gaff, which was monstrous and for salmon or something, that would have worked wonders on this thing.

But in reality, if I had a chance to gaff this fish I would never take it. I'd just man up and stick my arm down the hole and gill it. Not really interested in paying $500+ to have a scale mount on my wall and removing some of the best genetics in the area. All for a picture and name in a book.

If you want to eat this thing though let me know. I'll give you $200 bucks to eat the entire thing while I film a documentary on the effects of heavy metals on the human body.

Ive ate alot of 20-25 pound Salmon out of the St.Marys and I turned out fine, turned out fine.

....and I even ate alot of 20-25 pound Salmon out of the St.Marys and turned out fine!!!

Ahhg NASTY! I've tried one once... one bite was all it took to completely regret keeping that thing. Roommates absolutely LOVED it though! Bon apatite guys.

I just really cant believe there are people who line up every year with buzzbombs trying to snag 5 of them for dinner.

Ahhg NASTY! I've tried one once... one bite was all it took to completely regret keeping that thing. Roommates absolutely LOVED it though! Bon apatite guys.

I just really cant believe there are people who line up every year with buzzbombs trying to snag 5 of them for dinner.

me neither, this was my first year extensivly trying to catch them down at the locks. as well as walleye (was very unsuccessfull with the 'eyes).costs me too much money to catch them salmon lol. i only got two both about 5lb atlantics one while going for whitefish back in july and one was actually trying for them and got it on my first cast not even five minutes into standing there! suprised the heck right outta me. i ate a big ol' 23 pounder from the rapids last year and it was the worst tasting salmon i ever ate. lol i have yet to see a guy who is using buzz bombs actually catch one!

lol i have yet to see a guy who is using buzz bombs actually catch one!

Same here, but it mostly has to do with the fact that those salmon aren't feeding heavily at all so I don't bother fishing for them amongst poachers.

me neither, this was my first year extensivly trying to catch them down at the locks. as well as walleye (was very unsuccessfull with the 'eyes).costs me too much money to catch them salmon lol. i only got two both about 5lb atlantics one while going for whitefish back in july and one was actually trying for them and got it on my first cast not even five minutes into standing there! suprised the heck right outta me. i ate a big ol' 23 pounder from the rapids last year and it was the worst tasting salmon i ever ate. lol i have yet to see a guy who is using buzz bombs actually catch one!

Got me a nice silver lake-fresh one on a pearl/green buzz bomb a few years back...... ;)

Theres a big difference between an august/september chinny out of the river and an october one :stretcher:

As for fishing off the shore downtown...thats a big negatory...too many yahoo's for me.

hahaha, you got that right. i head out before first light for whitefish. thats usually a good 2-3 hours before anyone else comes to fish along the western pier. usually when i get there, within the first 5 mins i have a nice one on and as soon as i get that one its followed by another while my jig is on its way down. gets purdy busy on weekends though, thats why i stick to weekdays haha.

Edited by bigredneck

Cleo over a buzzbomb any day....but buzzbombs do work...

I don't cook any chinooks but I do get a few smoked every season. Not from the rapids either, only staging silver bullets.

Nothing wrong with eating a few lake huron fish properly cleaned with all the fat removed. I find this drastically takes away the "fishy" taste.

I don't fish pinks downtown in the crowds but I will in the rapids if i come across some big fish. I definitly do not target them. Personally, I simply just love catching fish and for that reason, I will catch one any day. The river receives one of the best runs of pinks around (numbers and size) and many people don't take advantage. Most locals consider them garbage fish, but if you talk to some of the fisherman who travel here from great distances, you would be surprised how well respected the river is for giant pinks. The Ontario record was caught in the river...13 pounds or something if i remember correctly.

I will agree many people fish illegally and in plain view...but im sure this is a province wide problem not just the river.

Good luck on the pike Xeon.....I'll be out on a part of the river system for gators later on this week....thurs and/or fri I think between classes

TDunn

hahaha, you got that right. i head out before first light for whitefish. thats usually a good 2-3 hours before anyone else comes to fish along the western pier. usually when i get there, within the first 5 mins i have a nice one on and as soon as i get that one its followed by another while my jig is on its way down. gets purdy busy on weekends though, thats why i stick to weekdays haha.

been there on the ice yet?

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

been there on the ice yet?

TDunn

sadly, lol, no! dont have an auger and havent really been looking for old holes to break open. i have been riding on the river the last few days though! leigh's bay to mark's bay around the airport, runway park, up maki road and back home again. i should be picking up an auger sometime soon though! i hope i get at least one fish through the ice before its too late.