Ice Fishing - for carp?

I thought about it. :rolleyes: But then I thought I can do alot of harm to the fish if it weighs 28+. Because of the weight of the fish grabbing it by the head or even lifting it up from the gill plate could cause damage to the fish. The fish can tear. And I certainly don't want to gaff it cause I don't plan on eating it or killing it.

dsn

Good call DSN! I never thought of that....not that the lake even freezes over here in Port Credit, but I was just thinkin' there's so many carp around it's crazy.....I wonder if any of them even stay shallow enough....hmmmm ah well something i'll probably never know....bring on spring carp fishing!!!!

UF

Although I suppose that could apply for anybody whose doing catch and release through the ice.....I'm sure you've seen those giant pike and muskie video's on YOUTUBE....... and it's alot warmer down south compared to where I grew up (sudbury) but I bet the fishe's gills freeze over quite easily as well....

UF

Good call DSN! I never thought of that....not that the lake even freezes over here in Port Credit, but I was just thinkin' there's so many carp around it's crazy.....I wonder if any of them even stay shallow enough....hmmmm ah well something i'll probably never know....bring on spring carp fishing!!!!

UF

You can give try.They all might be the same size. Hopefully they are small to medium. Then its ok!! I would love to see you nail some!! :thumbsup_anim:

dsn

It sure would make chumming the area a lot easier...wouldn't need a slingshot or flinger to get the ground bait out...there are always a few carp caught in Cook's Bay At Lake Simcoe every winter...don't know if they were incidental catch or targetted species...

....Actually I've noticed an increasing number of anglers hooking big carp in the Cook Bay area over the last few years. I've been told by guys with underwater cameras that they see large schools of them swimming around. I even know a few guys (myself included) who've hooked up with them on light perch tackle and have had a tough time getting them in. Others frequently lose them and are quick to assume that it had to be a pike or a trout or whitey or whatever but me thinks a lot of big carp are being lost do to inefficient tackle.