Da Plane Bos, Da Plane

Big Cliff

Yesterday afternoon, just as the sun was setting Sue noticed a small plane loosing altitude over the lake and called me. It looked to me like they were coming in for a controled landing but there was no noise at all and I wondered if he might be in trouble. It was dark enough that I couldn't see if the plane had skis on it or not and he was about a mile away from us so I watched until I saw him mere feet above the lake and then he was out of site over near Long Beach. I had thought about jumping on my ATV and going over there to make sure they were OK but by the time I'd have gotten on the lake it would have been dark and I'm not sure what I could have done to help or if they were even in trouble and they would have been only a 1/4 mile from shore and help anyway. In hind site I feel bad that I didn't go and check on them just in case. My question is:

Who could I have called to see if there was an aircraft in trouble?

Cliff.. I can come in and land at the lake.. or in our yard here and Leah can't hear me coming... nor could the kids a couple summers ago when I pulled the power back a mile back and glided home. The first thing they heard was the wheels hitting the ground and then all the heads popped up around the pool... PARTY !

Is the ice bare or covered in snow. May have just been a local guy off the Lindsay airfield landing at his residence for the night.... or then again could have been someone out doing their night rating off Lindsay and the engine launched on them... in that case they'd be missed from the airport.

Cliff, when we had our huts (3) off Oro nine in the 80s we had a plane land beside us, scared the crap out of us. I asked why he landed and he told me he was out sightseeing and noticed our flags on our huts (we had lots) and showed him wind direction. It was a very bright day

Your guy was probably chasing the yote :o

Cliff.. I can come in and land at the lake.. or in our yard here and Leah can't hear me coming... nor could the kids a couple summers ago when I pulled the power back a mile back and glided home. The first thing they heard was the wheels hitting the ground and then all the heads popped up around the pool... PARTY !

Is the ice bare or covered in snow. May have just been a local guy off the Lindsay airfield landing at his residence for the night.... or then again could have been someone out doing their night rating off Lindsay and the engine launched on them... in that case they'd be missed from the airport.

For the most part light or very light snow covered, there might be the odd drift 6" deep but that would be it.

I took some flying lessons when I lived in Elliott Lake on a little Piper P 12 with floats so Iknow they can come in quiet, I guess my delima is; if he was in trouble I would have done anything to help! But I couldn't figure out how to tell. Would the Lindsay Airport (closest one to us) have been able to tell me if I had called them Wayne?

Edited by Big Cliff