Advice for a New Angler

brixtonbeat

Gentleman,

I am new to the wonderful sport of fishing. As a result, I am embarking on my first hard water adventure in Nipissing (staying at Angler's Haven).

What advice would you impart on a new angler in terms of equipment that would provide me with the best chance for success? Rods, reels, lines, etc. As detailed a description as possible would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, are there any tactics or advice that would improve my chances for success?

Please remember that I have little knowledge on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

A simple 1/8th or 1/4 oz. jig tipped with a minnow will catch anything that swims. It doesn't get any easier then that. Spool up with 8lb test for nipissing and you'll be good to jig all day. You'll catch pike, perch, herring and walleye on that set-up... and if you leave it on bottom in the evenings you'll catch a mud-puppy too. Have fun.

dam, I forget everyone is still in Ice fishing mode.

I was going to give a summertime fishing tip of: When fishing for pike/muskie do not yank the lure out of the water when it reaches the boat. Do a few figure "8's" first. You'll land more fish that way.

Ice fishing tip hmmmm: Make sure your fishing partner did not have beans for lunch before entering the ice fishing hut.