50 lb common carp

hammercarp

carp.jpg

This one was 38" with a pretty big girth, although I forget what it was now. The biggest that I've caught was 41" but the picture hasn't been scanned. I'm pretty sure that I've seen them over 50lbs in Lake O. Back around 2000 a friend has his picture in the Toronto Star with a 55lb carp from the islands.

• 1 month later...

Sandusky Bay Lake Erie, Ohio side, by the third bridge under the Cedar Point causeway. My buddy got one between 50 and 60 pounds on a tube, we probably would never have landed it if we weren`t in a boat and could follow it with the electric motor. Mid April before they put a closed season on smallies here, we caught 3 that day, one around 25, one around 35, and the sow.

Lot f pigs in the bay, and it is usually pretty easy to spot where they are feeding, they get the water muddy rooting up the bottom. Hoovers, the suck up anything and eat it, catch them on lures all the time there, worms minnows. They aren`t too particular, not much shore access in the bay, a boat is the best way to fish it. April is a good time because the water is cold and they can be a bit sluggish. Just west of there in west harbor we have watched netters pull in their commercial nets with some real pigs. They clean them and smoke them and send them to NYC.

I have caught 2 pretty close in size that I have been amazed with... never weighed either but would assume high twenties to somewhere in the 30 lb range.

one from Lake Erie, a 37" Mirror:

JP%20Mirror%20Carp.jpg

This was a 38" Island Carp

Island%20Carp.jpg

But I saw plenty that dwarf these examples in both the Islands and Lake Erie!

Has anyone here ever seen a carp that they thought would be pushing the 50 lb. mark? Where did you see it? What time of year was it?

Selkirk my friend in the summer back in the late 80s early 90s. A wopping 52 1/2 lb on a 6ft berlky power poll.Everyone went back for lunch and I held back for a few minutes due to a bite on the rod.I caught the biggest carp in my life and at the same time missed some good Italian cooking. :D:angry: Sorry no picks but a few in the hammer can vouch for that day.Took me well over an hour to land it on 8lb test.