Port Charlotte, Florida

timmeh

Hey guys and gals,

I've planned sort of a last minute trip down the Florida, specifically the Port Charlotte (Tampa) area. I was hoping to spend a little time fishing while I'm down there but haven't a clue where to start. I will be stuck to shore fishing but expect there should be some opportunities around. If anyone is familiar and willing to help out, what type of fishing should I expect. I'm thinking mostly fishing the surf and probably some bass around.

I am planning on bringing a 9.5 foot spinning rod I use to fish for salmon and trout off the piers here and try fishing the surf there. I assume that rod should be strong enough?

Also does anyone have any experience with renting charters in that area they'd be willing to share. That is something I'd really like to do but I'd need to convince a few others to go along and split up the costs.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

timmeh I personally have never fished that particular area and if your time is limited you may want to concentrate on fishing from pay piers or do a head boat. If your going to shore fish (surf) you'll have to buy a license and if you going inland to fish for bass that's a different license or at least that the way it was the last time I was in Florida 3 years ago. If you do the pier deal a license is not required and they'll steer you in the right direction to catch a few fish.

Good Luck

Many years ago I did a weeks worth of fishing down there. There is a large peir to fish from right in P.C.. We bought shrimp at the grocery store and caught many different types of fish from the peir. Buy a saltwater license.

There is a bait store on the south end of town, forget the name.

We also cast rapplin redfins in the evening for snooks.

Find anywhere there are docks that you can access and fish from there.

Also look for lead core casting bobbers. They work like poppers. They allow you to do long casts.

I can't remember the name but north of P.C. there is one of those huge fishing piers. You pay to get on it and you can catch just abouth anything. Or fish the harbour. They don't allow you to cast off the beaches.

Good luck.

I've fished up and down the Gulf Coast for years. You will see very few people fishing from Piers with a 9.5' rod unless they are fishing at night for sharks...Usually a 7' salt water set up is fine...believe it or not Walmart sells a decent combo for about $40 US or less. I always used live bait, usually shrimp...brought down an aerorator and bait bucket in the top of my golf bag carrier as well as the rods in the holes for the clubs. The bait shops down there sell a bait fish stringer/catcher wathcamadoodle...you basically drop it off the pier and wrap it around a post...threadfins swim into it and get gill hooked...you then have live bait. If you are fishing from the surf....watch or ask around for under tow. Usually use 12lb test with a 25lb flourocarbon leader about 2' long...it is really all you need for most species....if you get something really big....it will likely spool you.

I've caught and seen caught off the pier shark, lady fish, red fish, snook, pompano, sheepshead, jacks, grunts etc...

This time of year is getting into sheephead season with cooler water temps off of piers, fish close to pilings on the pier.(Black and white striped drum), they kinda of hit weird where you have to wait a sec after you feel the tap to set the hook...

Good luck !

BL

Pier fishing is fun! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

The bait rig Balsam Laker was thinking about is called a Pilchard ring, it looks kinda like a large loop necklace with a piece of red or orange plastic ribbon through it. You may also want to purchase a few Sabiki rigs to catch bait with from the pier.

Your 9.5 rod will be fine for pier and surf casting, and there'll be folks with longer rods that that out there (surf casting rods).

You will need a license for saltwater fishing if you don't fish off the pier or some kind of charter boat, you'll also need a freshwater license for Bass... you can probably buy a combination fresh and salt license.

Party/head boats are fun and cheap, usually less than $50 for and 8 hr. trip. Snapper and Grouper season is closed right now.

Don't touch any fish that looks like this.

lion-fish.jpg

It is a Scorpion fish and has a very nasty sting!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpaenidae

I was down near that area couple of weeks back.. (Anna Maria Island)...

Tried some pier fishing... cost was only $2.00 for a day pass and no fishing licence was required (included with pier pass - not sure is this is standard for all Florida piers or not???).

Caugtt a few small fish with frozen shrimp... it was fun..

Beer, at the pier, was $1.25...

Drinking beer and fishing... priceless!