Rice Lake Ice Fishing

MuskyGreenHorn

Some lunge eh... Good size? Numbers? I grew up 10 mins from Bewdley and have always done well tracking down panfish, bass and eyes, but musky weren't much more than tall tales and myths from yesteryear. Some of the stories and records from the 50's and 60's are insane, the lake was full of musky, but back then most of them were keep and killed. I haven't fished Rice much in the last 7 or 8 years as I moved away, but I am back and did battle with a lunker on my bass gear late this past fall. Now it seems everyone has a current story about a lunge showing up while they are fishing for whatever. My question is, how healthy is the Musky population on Rice? I guide up on LOTW, but should I be spending a little more time on Rice when I return south in the fall?

Edited by MuskyGreenHorn

Some lunge eh... Good size? Numbers? I grew up 10 mins from Bewdley and have always done well tracking down panfish, bass and eyes, but musky weren't much more than tall tales and myths from yesteryear. Some of teh stories and records from teh 50's and 60's are insane, the lake was full of musky, but back then most of tehnm were keep and killed. I haven't fished Rice much in the last 7 or 8 years as I moved away, but I am back and did battle with a lunker on my bass gear late this past fall. Now it seems everyone has a curent story about a lunge showing up while they are fishing for whatever. My question is, how healthy is the Musky population on Rice? I guide up on LOTW, but should I be spending a little more time on Rice when I return south in the fall?

Dude! I don't know what you are talking about! lol The Musky attached below was caught AND released in Rice just 2 Septembers ago! Believe me, she aint no myth or legend, just a big old girl with pearly white teeth!

AB

Trophy.jpg

Edited by Abraxus

Ron:

This fish seems to have a hook mark near the anal vent.

Nice fish but I usually prefer to hook them in the mouth region.

Also judging by the lack of foliage on the trees I would say it was a nice day in May.

What was used for bait, your favorite, live perch?

By the way...who caught the fish?

Nice, I hoping to see some nice photos. But seriously, the lake was just raped back in the day. Nice to see how resilient a fishery can be. By the way, those are nice fish by any lakes standards. Ron are yiu seeing a lot come through the ice? And am I missing something here about the pic Ron posted Micheal? Where is the hook mark?

Edited by MuskyGreenHorn

Nice, I hoping to see some nice photos. But seriously, the lake was just raped back in the day. Nice to see how resilient a fishery can be. By the way, those are nice fish by any lakes standards. Ron are yiu seeing a lot come through the ice? And am I missing something here about the pic Ron posted Micheal? Where is the hook mark?

I have only seen one muskie come up through the ice, that was on Chemong. I did however see a total of 3 muskie on the camera so far.

As for Mike's comments, just consider the source..... (inside joke - he is always picking on me...in a fun way.) Just sometimes, OK I lied, he always forgets to put similes after his posts. :D

Hooks? Anal vent? arrrrrrrrrrgh that sounds painful! Michael, Ron uses perch for bait? If that muskie had hook marks around the anal vent, I wanna know how that muskie eats.....must be difficult with no teeth.