Nipissing Report January 7 to 10/10

dheitzner

Spent 4 days at Rob Hyatt's Bungalows last week(end), and as usual, had an amazing trip. The walleye bite was a bit tough, but herring, pike and ling kept us reasonably busy throughout our stay: over 60 fish for the weekend. We had to work hard for the bites that we got. The fish weren't rushing in and smashing it, they were following up and down until they'd finally commit.

Didn't really seem to matter what you used, I caught fish on Buckshots, small Mepps Cyclops, Lindy Darters, micro tubes, jig and minnow combo, and the splitshot and minnow combo. Spoons were all tipped with a minnow head pinched off at the gills.

As is the norm, Rob and his staff treated us extremely well. We were checked on every few hours and asked if we needed anything, minnows were refreshed steadily, fresh holes drilled outside the bungalow every day and, nice, clean, warm huts.

It is service like this that keeps repeat customers coming back every year, even when the fishing is tough.

Darcy

Nice job, we are heading up in a few weeks.

Can youtell me how you cought the ling? Were you targetting them?, during the day, after dark? Just below the ice, near bottom? I hear so many stories but have never cought one, would love to target them this year.

Can youtell me how you cought the ling? Were you targetting them?, during the day, after dark? Just below the ice, near bottom? I hear so many stories but have never cought one, would love to target them this year.

After the evening bite stopped, I threw a 3/16oz Lindy Max Gap Jig on my bunkside tip-up with a 4" shiner hooked through the tail. I placed it within about 1" of the bottom and let it sit there, taking it up every few minutes and recharging the glow jig. A buddy of mine also had success with a Green/Glow Buckshot spoon right on bottom with a minnow. We would see them huggin the bottom on our Vexilars but couldn't really coax them into hitting by jigging or anything, dead-sticking seemed to be the key. All ling were caught between 8 & 11PM.

Good luck up there,

Darcy

Thanks for the report. I've been fishing near the same area with great succes. A few walleye, one pike, lots of ling, hearing & perch.

Like you, I was using a green buckshot, at about 6-8" off the bottom.

Anyone know how callander bay, or deepwater point is doing?