Feb 3 Repost- Lake Simcoe

lovetofish

We left North York around 5:15am, headed for Jackson's Point. Arrived around 6:30, met up with my buddy Kenny (my girlfriend's cousin) and two of his buddies. We had a discussion about weather or not the ice was thick enough to get his 1200lbs hut out on the ice. I told him that from what i understood there was 8" of ice and they were still saying not to drive cars on the ice. The Bombadeer that was to pull the hut out easily weighs that. We had rented a hut and were out to the hut by 7:15 :clapping: Within the first half hour John (my girlfriend's dad) had his first whitie on... He managed to get it up towards the hole, it got off his line, but i managed to get it with the gaf. John was dancing around he was so excited! :thumbsup_anim: All the other times he went ice fishing, he didn't catch anything.

IMG_0221.jpg

We just got settled back into our seats, with our lines set and my phone rings. It was Kenny, he says "your never going to believe this, but my hut just went through the ice, with the bombadeer!" Kenny sometimes like to joke about things like that, but he insured me it really happened. The operator of the bombadeer was with his twelve year old son, both of them had to swim and get pulled out. Kenny was in the hut with his two buddies and they all got wet to. Needless to say, everyone is ok. The bombadeer is sitting on the bottom in front of the hut in the pics. The pics were taken on our way back in at 4:30pm

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

Fishing died right off until about 10:30am and then my line goes off.... i grab it and set the hook... My line breaks right at the tip of my rod... and i see the line sitting on top of the water... i managed to grab the line before it went down and landed a nice 5.5lbs whitie. Fishing slowed down until 3:30pm, when i got the last whitie of the day (almost exactly the same size as the first).

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

All and all a very exciting day out on the ice and a day i'll probably never forget!

lovetofish

My buddy pulled the driver and his son out of the hole. I got back to pick him up just as they were taken away on the trailer. I thought my buddy had gone in....he was covered in ice and had a real nasty look on his face when I pulled up on the skidoo. I thought it was just the hut that went in the crack....then he told me the story of what happened.....he watched it all happen from 30 ft away!!

Glad to hear all are OK. The driver was in rough shape when he came out. He still has my buds toque.

He didn't even get a thank you from anyone out there that day. Left a bit of a sour taste in his mouth. The driver would never have gotten out on his own.........

At least you got some fish.....we had one whitie caught between 3 guys that day, I was skunked and so was my bud who pulled the guys out. Strange day out there, that's for sure.......a real eye opener.

Thanks for the report.

Sinker

"How thin was it at the point where it gave way, do you know?"

i'm guessing around 8" by the looks of the ice thats sticking up in the picture

"He didn't even get a thank you from anyone out there that day. Left a bit of a sour taste in his mouth. The driver would never have gotten out on his own........."

I didn't know the driver, but i'm sure he must have been in shock from the whole incident.

Thanks for all the comments guys and gals. hopefully the action will be as good as last time, minus the scary incidents!

lovetofish

WOW...THAT VERY WELL COULD HAVE BEEN A TRAJEDY? :stretcher::dunno: ??? WHERE WAS THE HUT LOCATED,AND WHAT WAS THE OPERATOR DOING OUT THERE,MAN THAT SHOULD BE A WAKE UP CALL FOR THOSE WHO ARE DRIVING IN THE AREA. :blink: ..EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW WHERE IT IS,PLEASE POST THAT...and congrats on the fish too,well done cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

It happened at jackson's point. Just out from Bonnie boats marina.

The ice was pretty safe, they just went over a bad spot between 2 major cracks. The piece between the 2 cracks was just floating there. It was bobbing when I went over it on the skidoo earlier that morning. Water was coming up both sides. There were no other vehicles on the ice yet.......he was the first one. 8" is not enough for any type of vehicle IMO....but there are lots of people who will argue with me on that.

I know for sure they were in shock.....the driver could hardly breathe...let alone offer thanks. he smacked his head pretty good on something...either going down, or on the ice coming up. Apparently, the guys in the hut ran away and didn't even offer the guys any help either....My bud was appauled at the actions of some people out there that day. It was really bothering him.....still is now.....the driver was under water for a long time....he didnt' think he was gonna come up. Pretty scary stuff.

Sinker