LSPP adventure in Search of Brookies

anders

This trip was in the making in a few years ago (2007) after my dad and brother first attempted to get in this lake and got lost only to find the lake and have to turn around. They got to fish it for 45 minutes but the bug was planted. Fast forward to 2010 and the lake of snow and prime snowshoeing conditions the trip was eventually planned for opening weekend with roughly 9 guys going in, however with highs in the -30’s, the trip was put off till this past weekend were even though the morning low was -29, the wind was from the south and the temps were to climb in the single – digits…we were off!

With a quick rendezvous at our meeting spot to ensure all were present the 6 of us were off. My dad who is turning 55 this month, my brother and his buddy, myself my to buddies, and the dogs we hit the highway to the park. We started walking at 730 when it was still dark, after an hour we crossed the major lake but still had a walk, however, I did pull out the camera for a couple of pictures.

It was a crisp morning and with the sun not even peeking yet, it made the breaks far and few between to prevent the chills.

DSC01401.jpg

DSC01407.jpg

We did stop roughly halfway for a drink and when we stopped the sight was quite comical, facial hair and -29, this was the result.

DSC01402.jpg

DSC01403.jpg

DSC01404.jpg

Even the dogs needed breaks with this walk. This walk turned out to be my limit and the limit for the rest of us…at almost 9km one way…demanding it was. As we continued guys slowed down, guys sped up, and others maintained, with all having conversations of what lied ahead under the ice for us.

My dad trying to learn how to use a GPS…he likes his internal one better! This was at hour 2, another hour to go!

DSC01408.jpg

The sun is finally showing itself; to bad the mountain is hiding us from it.

DSC01409.jpg

After another hour of trekking through bush and hills we arrive at our destination almost 9km later, three hours of walking, lots of sweat and few choice words we were there. We quickly changed into dry clothes and put our snowsuits on, as it was still cold set some lines and started to fish…with after 15 minutes a tip up flies into that air and my dad is the first on the scene, removed the rig to see the spool a spinning and after pulling up roughly 35 ft of line from 4 ft of water, our first speck of the day!

DSC01411.jpg

To say this fish swallowed the hook is an understatement…he was almost digesting it! A good sign we thought…they were hungry….we waited, and waited, when we were all getting a little ancy about the fishing, I decided to take the auger and go for a walk…bad idea! As I was fishing the other side of the lake….i hear cheers of joy, not only 1 but they start coming….the guys were catching fish and well I was getting skunked and watching the actions…I was happy though…at least we were getting them. I head over there and take a few pics of the guys and there specks.

DSC01412.jpg

My brothers buddy with a nice one

DSC01414.jpg

My buddy with a chunky speck

DSC01413.jpg

Soon I partake in the jigging action and finally I got to ice one, rounding out the group all got a fish, side note…my brothers was small and back it went…he made up for it though.

DSC01415.jpg

At around 1230 my dad and I decide to head to another lake to try it out, but after getting to the lake we decide to turn back due to the slush and poor ice, its remarkable how different the conditions could be on two lakes that are the same size and connected. Anyways, we I returned I head to where the guys were fishing and low and behold, my brother made up for his first small brookie he got earlier in the day, tipped the scales at almost 4.5lbs. He was in the bush getting wood for the fire, so I was more than happy to hold it for a photo op.

DSC01417.jpg

We got many more throughout the day, however satisfied that everyone got a photo and fish I was content to relax by the fire and watch the action. We ended up with rougly 20 fish iced and each of us took 2 out for dinner. So at 330 we packed up and headed out, knowing that half the trip was in the dark. We arrived at the trucks at 630 were we recharged with a pop, quickly reminisced of the trip that had just passed, and toasted on what was truly an amazing day, with great friends, great fishing, and great times.

My dad and my fish for dinner

DSC01418.jpg

Truly a Great Day!

Edited by anders

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

good stuff buddy. that's a pretty silly walk you guys did. but you were rewarded with a solid 20+ incher by the looks of it. hoping to get into the backcountry this weekend. waiting for some intel on some new lakes. sweet report.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Love to see those LSPP reports (when folks actually catch fish... :P )

your jabs dont' go unnoticed mr. hamilton. smart ass.

that said, anders was definitely rewarded for his effort. i won't be doing a piddly 3 km round trip for splake next weekend and you'll see some more pics.

your jabs dont' go unnoticed mr. hamilton. smart ass.

that said, anders was definitely rewarded for his effort. i won't be doing a piddly 3 km round trip for splake next weekend and you'll see some more pics.

I figured you'd get that one....hope the dynamic duo has a better showing next weekend. You're probably going to have to take the reins on organization though. I can't talk too much I only walked from hole to hole this weekend no hiking for me.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
I figured you'd get that one....hope the dynamic duo has a better showing next weekend. You're probably going to have to take the reins on organization though. I can't talk too much I only walked from hole to hole this weekend no hiking for me.

yea man. my partner in crime showed unprecedented buffoonery in forgetting the bait 3x. apparently passing by the bait shop 2-4x daily at work wasn't enough. the dynamic duo will be back at'r this weekend.

hitting the treadmill every day this week trying to get my legs back. i'm sort of inclined to go to "broken snowshoe" this weekend.

thanks guys...it was definitly a once a year trip for sure...

we were kind of hoping that the CO's would drop in via helicopter and take some of our gear out...but alas...

my old man might be headed up there tomorrow to fish another one of the lakes...the man is nuts

wow thats a hike ... but well worth it for specks

When i was reading your report I thought "holy crap what are these guys going to do when they start sweating in -30 temps"

but I read that you changed clothing .... I know that even the "Dry Fit" stuff will feel uncomfortable after a long hike like that unless you can air it out

cheers

Wow I thought we hiked a long way saturday into the park.....well over 10 Km.

We also had to strip down on the lake and change clothes before we started fishing....That will wake you up!!!!!

Although we caught fish (10 lakers and 2 brookies) we never got anything much for size....But catching orange fin natural lakers is the bomb!

That 4.5 pound brookie is a beauty!!!Cant ask for much better

Great report Anders....I look forward to your next LSPP report!!!

Ice/snow beards rock!

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

wow thats a hike ... but well worth it for specks

When i was reading your report I thought "holy crap what are these guys going to do when they start sweating in -30 temps"

but I read that you changed clothing .... I know that even the "Dry Fit" stuff will feel uncomfortable after a long hike like that unless you can air it out

cheers

I have the new under armour stuff and its great. We all pretty much strip down quickly and get into to long underwear and sweatshirts, otherwise we would spend the winter sick.

Wow I thought we hiked a long way saturday into the park.....well over 10 Km.

We also had to strip down on the lake and change clothes before we started fishing....That will wake you up!!!!!

Although we caught fish (10 lakers and 2 brookies) we never got anything much for size....But ctaching orange fin natural lakers is the bomb!

That 4.5 pound brookies is a beauty!!!Cant ask for much better

Great report Anders....I look forward to your next LSPP report!!!

TDunn

Were you guys in the black F-150 that was parked on the side of the road uptop Old woman hill? It was a nice day in the park for sure. We are headed back in the park again this weekend but for lakers...gonna try for the larger that avg. size lakers.

They sure are nice eh, lakers that taste like specks.

Were you guys in the black F-150 that was parked on the side of the road uptop Old woman hill? It was a nice day in the park for sure. We are headed back in the park again this weekend but for lakers...gonna try for the larger that avg. size lakers.

They sure are nice eh, lakers that taste like specks.

Yep that was us!!!!blue ford just before the bay

Edited by TDunn