Tip Up Recommendations????

sconceptor

Hey Randy do they still sell the door stopper ones up your way? I bought a couple from Bobs Bait on trout lake in North Bay about 15 years ago and my buddy left them on the ice last year. They were made by a local guy nicely painted. I think I paid 10 bucks for them. thanks

Sure do!!! Most tackle shops carry them. I think they're selling at 20$ or so nowadays.

RFS

:canadian:

8" augers vs 6" you ask??? a little more efforts drilling with an 8" is all that I found out. I used to have an 8" and everytime I used it, cursed it.... Last year bought a Sub Zero 6" and it's so much easier and very happy with it.

Like mentioned in other replies..... don't knock the blades or use excessive force while drilling..... that will prevent from damaging them.

As far as tipups goes well I make my own from pine cause up here in QC we are allowed 5 lines per person and it would be too expensive if I bought them. Mine are rigged with plastic spools and have 10 adjustable holes so that I can set them very light or very heavy depending on the species of fish I'm targetting

Leechman

Wow....nice tip downs. It's more fun making our own anyway and better quality than the tip downs sold in stores.

I use tip downs often. I make them longer because with the lead weight on bottom and the tides, I don't have to adjust them every couple of minutes.

Since I often fish in 150 to 350 feet of water, I attache 3 sets of hooks with bait at about 30 feet intervals. One almost right on bottom and 2 other bait sets at 30 feet from bottom and 60 feet from bottom. This is for salt water species in the Saguenay River which dumps into the St-Laurence about 75 miles down stream. For smelt and brook trout in the shallow water, I use small ice rod and reel and sometimes another lighter tip down.