trailer wiring

babaganoush

trailer is in need of a new connector and its a regular 4 way but the problem is there are 5 wires on the trailer

brown yellow

brown green

green

yellow

white

i have looked everywhere for the same connector but all of them have 4 wires

question is can i twist both the brown/yellow and brown/green onto the new brown wire and have it work the same or will i have problems

would like any input before i go ahead and butcher things up

thanks

I had exactly the same problem this summer. The trailer connector came off and the replacement only has 4 terminals but the wires from the trailer came as you described. I cant remember which ones i spliced together but i went to CT and cracked open one of their cheap trailer light kits ( the same ones on my trailer) i just drew a little diagram of where the wires went into the connector....went home and spliced em....works fine. I know thats a long way round aND SOMEONE MIGHT CHIME IN WITH AN EASIER FIX, BUT ITS ONE WAY TO DO IT.

They're all easy jobs with a test lamp or meter a little time and the proper part(s). My advice to you is the call a trailer hitch place and get it done there.

This past summer I bought a new to me truck. I was going to do the the trailer wire connections to it but then just called the hitch place. They told me to be there at 8 the following morning. I was there no more than 15 minutes, it cost me $50 and all was done correctly. This included parts and labour. All tested in front of me. I'm happy.

Looks like you have it figured out, There is usually more than one wire on the trailer feeding the running lights, sometimes they both run up to the plug creating an extra wire and sometimes they splice in down under the trailer to feed the extra running lights and then you have the traditional 4 at the plug.