2010 Winter Carpin

hammercarp

This is a few days old but I'd thought I'd post it up anyway. My carp angling club holds an event every new year called the FFF ( First Fishing Folly ). The object is to catch a carp before 6pm Jan. 1st. Start off time is 12:00:01am . You can begin fishing before this time but you must reel in and recast at midnight. Over one hundred anglers registered for the event. This took place north america wide , from Canada right down to Mexico. You can fish WWD's but the water temperature must be below 50 degrees F. in order to qualify for certain prizes/awards. We even had a couple of guys from Spain enter, we have not heard from them yet though. But it is truly an international event. I picked a local spot here ( the Hamilton region ) where the water is open and I could get some bait in for a few days before start time.

I got there to set up around 11 pm. There was a slight drizzle coming down. This was a plus since it indicated a rise in temperature over the past couple of days. I took my time setting up.

Here is my set up.

FFF_setup.jpg

I had a take in about the first 10 minutes but did not get the hook into the fish. I waited 5 minutes and rebaited. About 15 minutes later my Abu sounded off. All right fish on!A short fight and I banked this little dark gold beauty.

First_FFF_fish__Small_.jpg

I had my bait back in the water a few minutes later. About another 15 minutes and I had another one on. This one was slightly bigger. This one came sometime after midnight.

small_second_fish.jpg

The rain eventually stopped and I enjoyed some chilli made with venison and a cup of coffee. The wind stopped and it got very calm and quiet. The only noise came from the odd mallard giving an alarm call. I guess they get spooked.

After a while the wind began to pick up out of the west and the temperature began to drop. I decided to pack it in as I did not feel like setting up my shelter and getting the propane heater out of the vehicle. Everything was damp from the nights drizzle and I did not relish having everthing freeze. When I got back to the vehicle I was shocked to see it was just before 5am and I thought it was about 2:30. I don't own a watch , never have and I had left my cell phone at home. Well off I went home for some sleep.

Cool.

One of my new quests for this winter is to catch a carp through the ice. I have never done it nor have a heard of anyone else around here trying it. They should be a wicked fight through and 8 inch hole.

The Kawartha's are full of carp so my location is perfect and now we have an open season.

Any tips?

never heard of people getting carp in the winter, nice man! I would like to get a big carp sometime, but I hear they are not a great fight.. just dead weight like a log or tire or something, that true?

nope,,,, that isn't true....

They fight like crazy assed trout do.

I like fishing for them and so does my daughter... we just never thought of trying for them in the winter though :huh:

thChanellesmonstercatch.jpg

and my little one

th30inchcarp.jpg

I am just wondering if the techniques we used in the summer would be the same for the winter ?

"I am just wondering if the techniques we used in the summer would be the same for the winter ? "

Yes the same technique I use in the summer. Just a little lighter on the baiting and a little heavier on the flavours.

Fishyfingers.

Carp are great fighters. Very powerful and they don't like to quit. In the winter they are sluggish but when the water warms up, watch out.

I have never caught a carp through the ice. This year I plan to make several attempts. This is what I have read, learned from other guys and seen. The north shore is the best place to start looking for carp in winter with a nearby weed bed and some calm or slack water. The depth can vary but 4 to 10 feet seems the most likely. Carp will tightly school under the ice and you can find hundreds of them together. Bread is the bait of choice but maggots are also popular.

Thanks guys.

thanks hammercarp, I won't be trying for them in the winter, but I will this summer.. so you just put some bread on the hook and toss it in then? or is there a lot more to this :huh:

There can be more, a lot more. But it can be as simple as putting a crust of bread on a hook. That method is called "freelining" bread and is used very effectively to catch carp that are feeding on the surface.