Balsam lake

fish-miester

Hey guys was wondering if any one has checked out balsam or new how the ice was doing up there.. I have been outa town for the last little bit or else I would of checked for my self.

as well as could any one point me in a direction of where I should "try my luck"

Im going with a friend of mine for some perch, crappie and maybe some pike. any help would be appreciated

thanks again

a fellow angler

the lake we are on is just a bit N.E. of balsam and we have a good solid 6" of ice as of yesterday. It's not the size of balsam so a local would know better but I'm going to guess with this cold snap 4". DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, it's a guess with out going and testing...

musky66, any idea if there is a current area around the balsam dr launch in the winter.I've never used any other access point to the lake other than the prov. park and I doubt they would open that area to the public in the winter to access the lake.

fish-meister,there is a limit to the pike just as any other lake.I'm sure it's stated in the online changes for Zone 17.There are limits(crappies) and limits and size limits(bluegills)for zone 17 as well.All of it is on the MNR website.Hopefully they have the printed versions in store by the weekend.

Kerry

thanks guys!

ya I have picked up the new updated regulations as well as the 2010 regulation book , though I normally dont fish for pike and if I do I dont keep them.

but lets say I do catch a few pike what are some good recipes? or what are your favorites?

Edited by fish-miester

Pike are very good eating, you just need to be a little more careful when cleaning them as they have "Y" bones that run down both sides.

Filllet them, find the line of Y bones and remove and them cook them in any way you would cook a walleye.

Have fun.

Edited by Michael Brown

Please, Please, Please be sure it is a pike you are keeping and not a muskie.

If someone does catch and keep a pike that they are NOT interested in eating, if you can freeze it whole and get it to me I will give it to the OMNR Biologists for a stomach content research and also DNA testing.

This will coincide with the research that Muskies Canada and the OMNR will be conducting on Balsam Lake over the next few years.

You can E-mail me with the details and I will make arrangements to collect the specimen.

Thanks

Tom McCutcheon

Release Director

Kawartha Lakes Chapter

Muskies Canada.

Hey guys was wondering if any one has checked out balsam or new how the ice was doing up there.. I have been outa town for the last little bit or else I would of checked for my self.

as well as could any one point me in a direction of where I should "try my luck"

Im going with a friend of mine for some perch, crappie and maybe some pike. any help would be appreciated

thanks again

a fellow angler

Was on the ice today skating with the family and punched a couple of holes. the first hole was 20 yards of shore at the bottom of South Bay. I measured 5". The second spot was about 100 yards off shore in 4 fow measured 4" - 5". I wouldn't say it was all black ice either. Definately safe to walk on.

Later in the day a couple of sleds came by about 400 yards of shore...they kept pretty close to shore and didn't venture into the main lake too far. I do know...I think I'm going to wait another week or so. Plus the fact that there is a big pressure crack just in front of my shoreline with water on either side making it difficult to get the hut out. I saw no other sled tracks anywhere....I would be very careful!!

BL

Thanks musky66.it's early anyway, I won't be venturing out there till I see some posts on some good spots to access with parking.Lots of perch and pike action on cooch right now and lots of good ice too where we go so the need to fish is being taken care of!

Cheers to a great ice fishing season where ever we fish.

Kerry

yeah, I would like to get there myself and give it a try, but who know what kind of ice conditions the lake has

guess we will find out

Just got back from Balsam....put my hut out today. A solid 7" of black ice + 2" of white ice on top....no problem for my sled. Lots of sled tracks around...will be fishing it hard this weekend. I'm in South Bay and the only hut out there at the moment. Good luck !

BL

I was planning on checking out south bay this weekend. How deep is the area around your hut?

I think I will start out deep and work my way into the scattered weed beds trying to find the pike. Crappie and perch will be a bonus.

Good luck.

I didn't have my graph..but went by 2 hand held gps. This spot throughout the year has produced plenty of pan fish, musky, odd walleye. Hoping to get into Pike. I expect the depth is around 13-16 fow. Don't know yet for sure...but it sits on the edge of a weedline that goes up to 6 fow. Hoping for the best...I can always move the hut. If your out in South Bay it is near the bottom...can't miss it...I'm the only one there right now.

Going to pike up some small minnows from Talbot...he gives you a ton of bait for $10. Should be out there on the weekend for sure. Stop by if you're in the area.

BL

Good Luck !