Winter Bass Fishing

Garry2Rs

We have been off the water for about two weeks while entertaining my daughter, who came for a quick pre-Xmas visit.

This morning I hooked-up with Kelly, my neighbour, for a day of fishing.

It was cool, windy and bright when we hit the water, but a few clouds blew in later in the day.

Kelly was throwing a Live Target Bluegill crankbait and caught a nice Bass of 2+ pounds.

AZDec2009141.jpg

I was tossing a 78 series Lucky Craft Pointer, in Ayu pattern, which I used as a jerkbait.

AZDec2009014.jpg

Buck, acting as a neutral observer, inspected both fish and decided mine was a little bigger.

The water was in the low 50's. The air temperature reached 70 by mid-afternoon.

Both fish were quite skinny. In another month the Bass should start fattening up as the more active pre-spawn period begins.

In the mean time, I guess we will just have to put up with the slow bite and winter weather...HAHAHA.

Garry2R's

me toooo :(

You have no idea how difficult it is being on the boat with Buck, seeing the sheer unmitigated terror in the beady red eyes of the little bass as you hoist them into the boat past Buck's slavering jaws. You can actually see their tiny little butts pucker. Then you go through the contortions of unhooking them as you hold them to the sky, safe from gnashing doggy teeth, while Buck slobbers and drools on yer feet. Then you toss the unhooked fishy, hopefully clear of Buck's dive range, and quickly duck to avoid the splash as Buck goes overboard in hot hairy pursuit. Then you try not to hook yerself as you stand there laffing at Buck dogpaddling around the boat with his doggy face down in the water looking for the lost fishy. When he finally tires of the fruitless search you then have to find some distant point, which is hard to do on a relatively small bass boat, where you'll be safe from the tsunami that cascades off Buck's great hairy body when he shakes off the lake water.

Other than that fishing with Buck is fun. All ya gotta do is remember to stay upwind if he's suffering from flatulence. I have gone so far as to hang outboard off the Minnkota bracket when Garry moves the boat. That's all well and good until the spirit moves him to start jumping wakes. I swear if I'd been female I'd be the proud momma of little baby Minnkotas more than a few times.

But that being said I wouldn't miss a moment of fishing with Buck. It's a hoot. And Garry's ok too. He drives cuz Buck hasn't figgered that one out yet.

Wish Buck a Merry Christmas for me, Garry, and one to you, too, bud.

JF