Hey JPD!

Roy

I see that in your top 5 picks for Christmas this year, the Shimano is right up there. I'm looking for a couple of reels in the 2500/3000 class and at the risk of putting you on the spot, I'd like to know if there is anything else you can tell me about them. They haven't been around for very long so I don't have any reviews to check out. They're not a cheap reel so it'd be nice to know anything else that anyone else could offer up. I don't need to be sold on Shimano, that's already done.

Thanks.

I love my CI4 , every reel i handle now feels like a tank compared to it , the drag is Great , i dont have many hours on it yet but i think its awsome It even makes my Stradic MGFB feel heavy

The only one thing i dont like about the CI4 is no Spare spool or any new shimano for that matter

Edited by Wiser

Hi Roy, There is a review on another site...I don't know if I should mention names, so on google, type in Shimano Stradic Ci4 Review...and Second link is an actual review.

I had a chance to hold it in a store and they are really nice in hand..Super light..

The only thing I have against it is that it's quite loud when you crank it fast and that they don't carry an extra spool.

The extra spool would have been nice to switch between braid and mono without respooling.

Edited by EC1

Sorry for the late response Roy, was at a Christmas Party last night...lol

The Ci4's are everything that was great about the Stradic and Stradic MgFb from last year, Paladin Gearing, Aero Wrap II, Waterproof Drag, S-ARB bearings, yada yada yada... the only differences between them is the Material of the frame (Ci4 vs Aluminum, graphite and Magnesium) and the handle which is made with a EVA foam... I have heard mixed reviews on the handle, I like it but I also really like the paddle handle on the 3000 size reels. These reels even have a very impressive line capacity for the 2500 size holding 200 yards of 6 lb test.

The biggest difference is in the weight since it is 2.2 ounces lighter than the MgFB which it replaces and the price actually stayed the same or came down a bit in some instances. I really don't think you'll be disappointed if you give them a shot Roy! Oh ya... it looks great as well :D

JP

Hey Roy,

The new Stradic reel is nice like the other guys have mentioned, however the CI (Carbon Innerfusion) has me worried. Shimano has been making this Carbon for a while now. Its not a new process for them. They have been using it on Bicycles for some time but on fixed bike parts. The reason I say this is that if on a fixed part that does not have flex its a great product. However on the reels its a whole different story. Most guys dont treat their gear like guys like me for instance. I have covers for all reels. When done I remove all reels and place them in a reel box. I cover all gear all the time.

The (Normal ) angler :lol: Tends not to cover the reel and let them bounce around with other rods/reels. This reel chips easily, has way to much flex in the reel seat that I would not like to see what happens when cared for like a everyday fishermen would do. The tolerances for this reel are not what they should be for a reel of this Caliber. The handle is just a copy of Shimanos JDM counterpart (SEPHIA) and they do have a JDM version of this reel available. However not being made with the Quality that Shimano has had in previous Stradic's like the FH models I would highly reccomend that you move on to another reel. All gearing aside Shimano has a following that is greater than most companies and will always have this. If you want a reel that gives you a lifetime of use and a Spare spool. Look into a Daiwa outta luck,Fuego. or try and find a Shimano Stradic FH in a box. These will last forever. Right now you are paying for the name not the Quality anymore. Trust me. I have them all and use them from experience I would stay away.

No feedback on the CI4, but I'll say I'm a huge fan of the MGFB's, just picked up 2 more myself last week.

Wiser posted this recently, it's a really good price on 2500 MGFB's: http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38357

Roy if this is a possible option for you and if Gander still has them in stock I can grab them for you.

I'm going to be at the Buffalo Gander later this week or on the weekend.

Wow, that's a fairly harsh assessment there smalliefisher... have you actually used one or better yet broken one?

The Ci4 is Carbon INTERFUSION and has been very well tested since they have been making rear derailleurs with the material for a while now... last time I checked reinforced Carbon Fiber would be a good thing in a reel since the last thing I want when dealing with direct pressure during fights and trying to keep gears in place is flex.

Ci4 is over one and a half times stronger than the normal graphite Shimano uses in their reels and is over 20% lighter and since there is no metal in the material it is completely perfect for saltwater use. The tolerances on the reel are more than great for the price point of it and after speaking with Jeremy Sweet at iCast I came to understand why this reel was developed and then brought to the North American market. Even though it is classified as a finesse reel I have punished it this fall running 15 lb braided line with fluoro leaders for smallies since that is the best way to see what the product is capable of. The reel has well over 200 fish caught and they weren't finessed at all :lol:

I highly doubt there are many people who are as hard on their gear as I am since the reels get pounded in my boat during rough water days and bounce around in the rod locker quite a bit and I am a little less than gentle with the hook sets :w00t: and I have yet to notice any marring or performance issues with the Ci4.

This is not because I am sponsored by Shimano either.... I have been using their product for as long as I can remember and have come to trust them... I enjoy hearing what people think about new products and constructive criticism helps the manufacturers get even better but to slam a new product and warn people to stay away from it is a bit much.

JP

Not Bashing the product from in experience. The tolerences are not that great as a result of where they are made. Put it up against your White Stradics and let you self see the differnce. Try taking one apart. :wallbash: Gears could have been a little smoother like the rest of the former Stradics before the FH. I have used this reel and if you would like I can give you a fully detailed assessment on the reel. You know better than that. Look at how many reels I sell on here :mellow: . The Stradics have come downhill for the last 3 years as well as many other Shimano Products. As a result I have unloaded all my Shimano products. Personal choice. I dont stand behind a product that states they are worth the pricepoint when they are not. Same reason why I just sold all my Core reels. The Flex in that CI-4 is far more than I like and in my Oponion which is what Roy had asked for (Peoples opinion) i think they will break and chip. Hooksets will not break a reel seat JP. Unless you are fishing for Marlin with that reel neither will straping it down on a Bassboat Deck. They are always strapped. I was refering to the average guy who throws it in an aluminum boat or whatever or in the back of a truck. :D

You came on this site a while back and spoke about someone reading the post, please read mine as I stated if you can find a Shimano Fh reel then buy it. :D This reel will last forever. I understand that you are Sponsored but to state that I speak from not knowing a product is wrong. I have owned every single Shimano reel made here and most JDM reels and have found that since they went outside Japan the reels quality is going down and price going up. The new Core 51 is a mere copy of the Alberdan. The Alberdan is a JDM reel and it to has sacrificed quality. Go on the boards in the US and see how many guys are complaining about Shimanos quality and pricepoint. That you can check for yourself. Every single reel produced in the last 3 years by Shimano is a mere copy of their JDM counterpart with a little less bells and whistles. Quality gets sacrificed when anglers want weight reduction. This trend is getting the better of some Companies. Take for instance that even yourself have stated on here the quality of Shimanos older reels. This reel has chipped on me and the smoothness is not there. The Flex if used in extreme cold weather might get broken. Think about and research how carbon gets brittle when cold. I feel that it is not worth the $300 or plus price tag we have to pay for it here. He wants a reel that will last forever and a spare spool is indeed nice. Thats my opinion and I'm sticking with it. Not looking to Start a message war here but I'm entitled to my Opinion and will continue to do so. Trust me when I say I have always used Shimano but feel I wont support them for various reasons as stated above anymore. They are still a great company but in turn its my money and I will spend it the way I wish as well as (Properly) inform others on my reasons why when asked. I dont tell for no reason. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers on this one but it is what it is. :)

Edited by smalliefisher

When Roy asked his question I expected and was hoping smalliefisher would chime in.

It's pretty obvious he knows what he's talking about when it comes to shimano.

I for one thank you for the input.

That said I'm most likely going to try the new CI4's myself for one reason and one reason only.

The weight.

If I'm spending megabucks to get uber light custom walleye jigging rods made it goes without saying that I'm going to want the lightest reel on them. Light is good. :)

So I'll buy one and hope it stands up to my abuse.

(Unless of course an equally light reel in the same size range as a 2500 shimano can be recommended)

Edited by solopaddler

Thanks for all the great input, guys. I've never had problems with Shimano reels nor with some Shimano rods. I will get a Ci4 and an older model Stradic. I don't really need them till ice out anyhow.

Thanks so much for the offer Mike. Very kind of you.

This month I bought a Stradic 1000MG FB from Tackle Warehouse.

They are offering it at $110US with free shipping.

The larger models are still around at some internet shops for about $130.00, or less.

The US price on the CI4 is around $199.00.

With the magnesium model marked down so low, and these questions about durability, it's up to you.

If either of you guys would like to buy a reel, from Tackle Warehouse, or some other US site and send it to my Arizona address, I am allowed to bring $700.00 home with me duty free in April.