Late fall pike fishing?

splashhopper

If i read the regs right, I can try fishing for Pike in zone 16 until the end of the year,,

So, with the colder water temps, are the pike active and what type of cover are they looking for when the weed beds have died off in the RIVERS?

What type of bait should I be using? Ie: live( types ?) or lures ( types and how)

Thanks

Splashhopper

This doesn't help at all I bet but they don't take roe bags. I saw one in about a foot of water just sitting there doing nothing. I figured I might as well have given it a try lol.

Actually they do, well sometimes. I seen a few pike taken on roe bags and the biggest pike I ever hooked was through the ice on a roe bag.....go figure. :dunno:

As to Splashopper's query, I have nothing. :blush:

Try blade baits. I have had great success for late fall Pike and Walleye using Large blade baits. Buy the biggest ones you can find. 11/2 oz.

I tip the rear hook with a small piece of minnow or worm, or power bait. It takes a little experimenting to get them tipped and still have the vibration on the bait.

Rip the baits aggressively with either long casts, let it sink to bottom then pull the bait in big rod sweeps - 5 to 6 feet at a time. Or vertically in deeper holes jigging it up 4 to 5 feet at a time aggressively, then let it hang still for a spell.

Walleye and Pike will smash these things in really cold water when they seem to just be nibbling or tapping at a slow or still jig/minnow. Great bait through the ice too.

Its been probably the most successful rod in the boat pst few seasons in cold fall waters.

GL MIKE

094.JPG