Opinion from any Sledheads (NF)

Sandbag

At the end of last winter, I posted about this problem that I was having with my 1999 MXZ 600.

At the start of last season, I took my sled to a dealership to have it pre-seasoned as I was very busy at work and wanted it ready to go when it snowed. Because I was so busy last year, I only got out a couple of times but each time that I was out, after about 15 minutes of riding a squeal would develop in the area of the clutches. I was not able to pinpoint the problem and all the drive and jackshaft bearings were fresh.

Today, I was going to clean the carbs, replace the carb boots and install some V-Force III's.

I removed the secondary, took off the airbox and I found the spacer from the back of the secondary underneath the airbox. I guess when the pre-season service was done last year, the mechanic forgot to put it back on.

Could this have been enough to misalign the clutches enough to cause the belt or something else to squeal??

I sure hope it is the problem. Thanks for any info.

Cheers

Craig

depends on how big the spacer is i guess. that may very well have been your problem. but then again im no expert either.... is the wear on the belt irregular/faster than normal?

bigredneck...I looked at the belt, however I didn't notice anything too irregular. However, Like I said, i only got out a couple of times last year for maybe a total of 50 miles. The spacer was between 1/8"-1/4" in size.

Cheers

Craig

depends on how big the spacer is i guess. that may very well have been your problem. but then again im no expert either.... is the wear on the belt irregular/faster than normal?

bigredneck...I looked at the belt, however I didn't notice anything too irregular. However, Like I said, i only got out a couple of times last year for maybe a total of 50 miles. The spacer was between 1/8"-1/4" in size.

Cheers

Craig

The wear will be consistent but over time it will change the angle on one side because of the uneven pressure due to misalignment. I repaired and raced sleds for a few years back in the early 70's but I doubt the clutching system is a whole lot different today. They're still variable speed just like they were back in the day.

JF

my sled the engine was changed from a 277 single to a 377 twin f/c. i rode it thoroughly last season and no squeeling for me. changed the secondary clutch too after about 20 kms. the mounts are incorrect for it, with me having to put about a 1/4" spacer beside the end of the front mounting bar to keep the bolt from bending. never threw off any alignment to my surprise. but however i do remember you asking this same question earlier in the year, and this time ya got different answers haha.

JP

Edited by bigredneck

The wear will be consistent but over time it will change the angle on one side because of the uneven pressure due to misalignment. I repaired and raced sleds for a few years back in the early 70's but I doubt the clutching system is a whole lot different today. They're still variable speed just like they were back in the day.

JF

your right about the clutching system not changing a whole lot. the only thing now is im pretty sure they dont use sliders on the secondary.

JP

Edited by bigredneck

your right about the clutching system not changing a whole lot. the only thing now is im pretty sure they dont use sliders on the secondary.

What's in there now? I could see either a roller bearing bar or a simple metal to metal deal with some kind of lubricant impregnation. We actually didn't have a problem with the nylon glides wearing down but with the higher power today perhaps somenthing else was called for.

JF

"after about 15 minutes of riding a squeal would develop in the area of the clutches."

Did you install a new belt? If so this is normal, as the belt heats up it will glaze slightly and cause it to squeal. I just put a new one on mine last year and had the same issue. I took a little sandpaper to the secondary and made sure that there was surface rust there, as it will shorten the life of the belt very quickly. Hope this helps, and definitely call the service guy and let him know what you found.

Rob C

"after about 15 minutes of riding a squeal would develop in the area of the clutches."

Did you install a new belt? If so this is normal, as the belt heats up it will glaze slightly and cause it to squeal. I just put a new one on mine last year and had the same issue. I took a little sandpaper to the secondary and made sure that there was surface rust there, as it will shorten the life of the belt very quickly. Hope this helps, and definitely call the service guy and let him know what you found.

Rob C

Thanks for the thoughts guys...Rob C..no I didn't put a new belt on last year, however I have cleaned the clutches and put a brand new belt on for this year.

while this thread is open... what kind of belt would you recommend for a sled? i forget what my belt is but its time for a new one.

Go to a dealer. We always sold what gave the fewest problems cuz we didn't want to deal with unhappy customers. Back in those days we found that different makes worked differently on different sled brands for some reasom. Seems to me that Dayco belts worked best for Skidoos but Skidoo belts worked best on our racing Rupps?????

JF