fishing and lunar state

skinny

hey can anyone explain how this works (in laymans terms )I'm not going to be fishing much till maybe next year but thought i might try to figure this out as I'm told it can make a difference

mind you if I want to fish I'm going anyway

My simple understanding of it is that wildlife activity increases/decreases along with the position of the moon. The experts take you right down to the minute in terms of when the peak activity will be. I don't put a TON of faith in it, but I do check the times/days before I head out. If it's supposed to be a good day, I make sure my line's in the water at the suggested peak times. If it's supposed to be a bad day, I tell myself the stuff doesn't work anyway :lol:

An old-timer once told me that fishing is best 3 days after a full moon, and 3 days after the moon is fully out of sight. It actually kind of lines up with the trends that the solunar tables have. :dunno:

mind you if I want to fish I'm going anyway

This is the important part. If you have an opportunity to fish and the charts tell you its the worst time, you're still going to fish. Conversely, if you are stuck at work and the chart says its the peak time, you're boss/customers probably won't let you take off to wet a line.

The other thing is that while the cycle of the moon may have some effect on fish and game activity, other factors like weather, presence or lack of on-coming fronts, relative water level, etc probably have a much bigger influence. For example, if the chart says tomorrow is the peak time but a wicked cold front just moved in, you're probably going to have a slow day.

Edited by Fishnwire

John Alden Knight is the father of solunar theory as it pertains to fish and wildlife. If you want the definitive answer on how it all works, the man has researched and written volumes on the subject. Get yourself two books. One is called "Moon up Moon down" and the other is simply called "Original Solunar Tables" ... both by John Alden Knight. Read both and then try to dispute it after having fished using his theory. But yes, and he also says it.....solunar tables are but one way to fishing success....a few other things have to coincide...you'll see it when it happens.

All I can tell you that during the moon majors while fishing the Larry, with the one eyed cyclops staring down at us even, the duck hunters were blasting at ducks and we were hauling in fish. Things were fairly quiet outside the major and minor moon phases on both duck shots and fish hooked!!

Was gonna try the 7:18 to 9:18 major this morning.. but there was a little, ship mate, incident this morning that put us an hour behind.... We did get a rip during the 2:01 to 3:01PM major this afternoon though!

Edited by irishfield