Paint for Lures

Fishnwire

I've been fooling around painting old lures and jigs. I'm aware lure paint is commercially available, but I just used some of those little "Testors" enamel paint that is made for models. After I let them dry for a day or two I use a product (stolen from the wife) which is a colourless nail polish called "tough as nails" which acts as a chip-resistant clear coat and gives a nice shine when dry. I've tested some them underwater for a couple hours in a bowl and everything seem to hold up just fine.

The thing is, I keep worrying about that model paint. Does anyone know with any certainty whether or not using that product for this application is a good idea? I know it has lead in it, but lots of fishing tackle does. Probably some of the factory painted baits in our boxes are covered in lead paint. It seems to be water resistant, but maybe it won't survive extended real-world use.

???

I've been fooling around painting old lures and jigs. I'm aware lure paint is commercially available, but I just used some of those little "Testors" enamel paint that is made for models. After I let them dry for a day or two I use a product (stolen from the wife) which is a colourless nail polish called "tough as nails" which acts as a chip-resistant clear coat and gives a nice shine when dry. I've tested some them underwater for a couple hours in a bowl and everything seem to hold up just fine.

The thing is, I keep worrying about that model paint. Does anyone know with any certainty whether or not using that product for this application is a good idea? I know it has lead in it, but lots of fishing tackle does. Probably some of the factory painted baits in our boxes are covered in lead paint. It seems to be water resistant, but maybe it won't survive extended real-world use.

???

I use brodak paints,dope and thinners.I use it mainly for balsa float and a few wooden lures I made,A little wet sanding after the the butyrate dope clear and some clear coat over it should do it.for extra protection.A lot of work but worth it.You can find them at a hobby shop.