Creek Etiquette

Fishnwire

I'd like to try the whole center pin thing some day, but I know nothing about it. I bought an 11.5' spinning rod a few years back and went to Manitoulin island for rainbow opener one year with a buddy who had done it only once himself. It was fun and I got a couple, but it was also a zoo and despite the crowds, some guys acted like they owned huge sections of the creek. I don't know trib etiquette too well, but if you position yourself between two steep banks so the only way to get up river is by wading through that section, can you really get upset when people, after waiting for a while, do just that? Like I say, this was opening weekend, and there were guys everywhere...we kept working our way upstream looking for a decent spot that wasn't already occupied. We had to get by and wearing waders and carrying 12 foot rods, bush-whacking didn't seem like an option. We waited a while for him to get a few good drifts in and then we asked him if we could get by. He acted like we were the biggest (insert censored word) that had ever picked up fishing rods. That experience alone made me not return to the creeks.

I understand rainbow in the creeks spook a lot easier than the summer time SMB I'm used to, but what were we supposed to do?

I will also mention that we stayed in the same motel as this guy, and he bragged to the whole parking lot on the last day about how they were taking home their party limit for the weekend (five license holders)...including those fish that his girlfriend, who was there but had never wet a line, would claim.

I'm sorry but screw him.

I am so sick of people that think they own the river.

As long as you asked and let him make some drifts before walking through I don't see a problem.

I also REALLY like guys that don't have the stones to say something to your face, but will mutter it to their buddy just so you can overhear them...

I think next year I'm not going to be so nice.

:)

I'm sorry but screw him.

I also REALLY like guys that don't have the stones to say something to your face, but will mutter it to their buddy just so you can overhear them...

Actually, what he did was say to my less imposing buddy that was 10 or 15 yards behind me, when he (my buddy) apologized was something like "It doesn't matter now, your friend already spoiled the whole drift." Seeing him admit to being, and even bragging about being a "legally challenged" fish hog speaks volumes about the kind of person we're dealing with, so maybe I should have chalked up the whole experience to simple exposure to a random idiot.

Thats definitely rude. Nobody owns our natural resources. So long as you ask before doing something like crossing through a float route, its fair game. If he had a problem with it, he should have helped you find a more convenience access point.

I have encountered my fair share if ignorant GTA float fishermen. Whether its "pool hoarding", or blatant casting over lines, they just dont seem to care. The other day I watched a guy leave Duffins creek with at least 8-10 large steelehead on a string. I talked to a few friends on the river and their attitude was "yeah Im upset, but MNR can't do anything so why bother"

And then you get these elitist (pardon my language) jerks who act like because they spent 1000$ on their gear, they have the right to push you out of your favorite pool.

The important thing is to stick to your values. It also helps to fish with a small group so you aren't alone should you need to confront a disrespectful fisherman. So long as you paid for your liscence, you are just as entitled to enjoy your fishing experience as anyone else.

he other day I watched a guy leave Duffins creek with at least 8-10 large steelehead on a string. I talked to a few friends on the river and their attitude was "yeah Im upset, but MNR can't do anything so why bother"

Well there are things you could do, like call the mnr tips line or at least say something to the guy. If you have a camera a quick photo is evidence.

Well there are things you could do, like call the mnr tips line or at least say something to the guy. If you have a camera a quick photo is evidence.

Oh I definitely called the MNR reporting hotline, only problem is I was without my camera. If they did actually come to follow up on the report he was long gone. Next time I head out I will have my camera for that exact purpose (kinda sad when the purpose isn't to photograph fish isn't it?)

The depressing fact is that most illegal fishing goes completely un punished. In a country like Canada, who places such a high value on maintaining natural resources, its sad that we cant have a more effective enforcement system.

The depressing fact is that most illegal fishing goes completely un punished. In a country like Canada, who places such a high value on maintaining natural resources, its sad that we cant have a more effective enforcement system.

Agreed. But even more depressing is that the people who live in this country don't have enough respect for our resources to do something like that.

Sorry for jacking your thread but as far as etiquette all you can do is show respect to others you encounter on the rivers. And hopefully they return it. Most people are good, but unfortunately it's those occasional jerks who don't that make things worse for everyone.

Yup,I can see were this is going to end up....We know people don't get along and we also know there are people who get down right territorial about there space when fishing anywhere so at that note I think its pretty much all covered before the fur starts to fly...