loose roe

vinnimon

Im not sure but there must a stipulation somewhere.Is there a limit on how much roe a person can posses without a vendors permit.We can catch our limit per day and keep the roe for personal use,but is there a limit?and to add on are brook roe trout legal to sell by a vendor in ont?from stocked fish or not?This is just a general question,and not directed towards anyone at all.Looking to fill the fridge if the bows are willing.cheers.

We can catch our limit per day and keep the roe for personal use,but is there a limit?

Im sure in the near future,there will be. Im sure it,s next on the list.

How much roe can one angler need? Really.One salmon,one bow and brown.Enough for say 3-4 years?

If cured right.

Unless yer name is SOLO. :lol::lol:;)

Edited by misfish

if you take the roe from a fish ...your obligated to take that fish home with you so it applies towards your limit...

I'm pretty sure you can milk a fish, return it and have it's roe count as one fish towards your limit.

You are not required to keep the fish.

From the OMNR website

BAIT

Question Re: Using Fish Roe for Bait

Fishing with single fish eggs or roe bags is very effective at times during the fall salmon run. Can I use the eggs from fish that I catch as bait?

Answer:

Fish roe (eggs) is common bait especially for salmon and trout fishing. The using of roe is not restricted by any laws provided that there is no prohibition against using organic bait the area you are fishing (areas where artificial lure or artificial fly may only be sued).

Fish roe may be legally stripped (taken) from fish that are legally caught provided that the fish itself is not discarded and wasted. You may also give fish roe to other anglers for their use but an angler may not sell, trade or barter fish or fish parts including the eggs. Only the holder of a commercial fish licence or an aquaculture licence may sell fish roe.

Live release isn't probably considered discarded or wasted..... but because you molested it it will count against your daily possession limit.

The guy that was selling brown trout roe was from a commercial trout farm.. with a licence to do so.. or so he stated.

Edited by irishfield

im pretty sure you are

I guess you can interpret this in a few ways... Got it off the MNR site.

Fish roe may be legally stripped (taken) from fish that are legally caught provided that the fish itself is not discarded and wasted.

From what I understand you cant strip a fish of its roe and let it go.What I used to do is take a handfull,that is if the fish is not stressed,and she is letting the eggs go on her own terms.Too often I see shopping bags full of eggs and no fish in hand to show for.But in the same manner I can walk the shore and take my pick for lunch.

From the OMNR website

Live release isn't probably considered discarded or wasted..... but because you molested it it will count against your daily possession limit.

The guy that was selling brown trout roe was from a commercial trout farm.. with a licence to do so.. or so he stated.

no brook trout roe and not a farm,but is licenced to sell bait.a shop.It really threw me off though.

From the OMNR website

So if your a newbie and you catch a fish not knowing,you keep the eggs and let the fish go,it swims away,but later is found a float by another angler.Then what?It would be wasted in my mind.and discarded?Where can you draw the line.I take my girls out and when in doubt do the humane thing regardless.report it.

So if your a newbie and you catch a fish not knowing,you keep the eggs and let the fish go,it swims away,but later is found a float by another angler.Then what?It would be wasted in my mind.and discarded?Where can you draw the line.I take my girls out and when in doubt do the humane thing regardless.report it.

If you are a newbie and don't know what you are doing, you shouldn't be milking fish.

It doesn't take that long to milk a fish and get it back in the water.

NY however requires you to keep a fish if you plan on keeping the eggs.. Ontario doesn't.

Im not a newbie at all,I was implying about guys that dont see the signs that the fish is not going to make it.2 summers ago fishing a live release tourney at conestogo lake, I got second place in a pike tourney pending live release.1/2hr in the rain to let it go with confidence.It will breed again.

My rule of thumb is if i KEEP THE EGGS THE FISH IS KEPT, AND ,AND CONSUMED.NOT THROWN OUT.9 out of 10 times the fish goes home to their youngins.

I'd much rather let the fish go to spawn another day, then use it as table fare

But to each their own.

Gross!!!! lol

yeah but the dog doesnt mind ...when its prepared right ...( i dont think the dog is going to miss it )

ive been searching the regs to find what led me to believe you were obligated to keep the fish ...so far i cant find anything ....

heres another one ...

ive always believed ....after having your limit of fish ...you are DONE.... because as soon as you connect to the next fish this puts you illegal because the fish is now in your possession...

reading the ministry page it says you can continue to fish ....but immediate release.... :dunno: