auger suggestions

Gail

Ok, i'm finally sick of using my hand auger and I am in the market for a new gas auger. I mostly hard water fish on simcoe and scugog and I always walk out pulling my equipment along with me. Would anyone out there have some insight as to which make or model I should be looking at in regards to reliability, weight and dollar value ...... or even better yet, what to stay away from.

Thanks to everyone in advance for any help you can offer!

Jiffy works well for me. Watch Walmart - they sometimes have them on sale.

How thick is your ice usually?

Up here on Nipissing you'll kill yourself with a hand auger, but on Simcoe your ice should be quite a bit thinner?

If I were faced with only 1 to 1 1/2 feet of ice I wouldn't bother with a power auger, especially if I was walking and pulling a sled.

Edited by Jocko

I've own the Strikemaster 4 stroke for about 4 years it's very light 23lbs.

Don't think it would stand up to Quad travel, it has plastic flutes on the drill and is generally very light. Cuts ice good but is bad for icing up around the blades. I spray it with Pam regular and don't have to much problem. Strikemaster will not admit any problem.

I still wouldn,t trade it for both Jiffy 3hp I've owned.

Garnet

I've own the Strikemaster 4 stroke for about 4 years it's very light 23lbs.

Don't think it would stand up to Quad travel, it has plastic flutes on the drill and is generally very light. Cuts ice good but is bad for icing up around the blades. I spray it with Pam regular and don't have to much problem. Strikemaster will not admit any problem.

I still wouldn,t trade it for both Jiffy 3hp I've owned.

Garnet

my stikemaster 2 stroke works great lots of torque.miixing is a pain butI wouldnt trade it in.had it 4 years now and no issues yet.