Looking for great spot!

asiers

I'm hoping that someone can help me with a recommendation for a great place to spend a week fishing in ON. Preferably not far from the US border.

We have gone for the last 15 years or so up to Arnstein, ON, but have decided that's too far (we are from America) and the fishing has fallen off severely in the last several years.

There are 4 of us. We usually spend a week. We would have to rent boats. We are looking for a nice cabin with electricity and plumbing, but don't need any frills beyond that (eg, housekeeping, tv, phone).

We aren't looking for nightlife or crowds. We're most interested in fishing and peace and quiet.

A place where there's a chance of catching some nice pike and/or bass. We're probably more comfortable on lakes and ponds than on big water.

Any thoughts?

Sorry if I've offended anyone, wasn't sure what kind of introduction would be necessary.

As I mentioned, I visit Ontario every year for a fishing trip with my dad, my uncle, and my brother-in-law. I've been going 15 years, my uncle and dad close to 30.

We live in the US; all in different states. We have been happy with the spot we've visited every year (near Port Loring) until recent years, when the fishing has fallen significantly off. Which makes it harder to commit to the 20 plus hours it takes for some of our party to get there.

We'd love to keep coming to ON, since it's a family tradition, but were hoping to find a new spot. Figured this was a good place to find it.

I suggest Rice Lake or the Tri-Lakes, maybe a resort/cottage on Pigeon Lake.

If you go Rice, you might want to consider finding a place on the Ottonabee River, near the main lake. Rice blows up pretty good and with rentals it can be dicey. If you are near the river, you can just fish all day in sheltered areas if the main lake is rough.

You mentioned that you are not looking for crowds, so I think Rice lake and the Kawarthas are automatically out of the question. Since you are coming from New York, may I suggest Big Rideau Lake out east in the Kingston area, there are literally hundreds of lakes in that area and you will definitely get the peace and quiet you are looking for.

Hope this helps,

fishindude

being from new york there are alot of places in eastern ontario, Rideau lakes, ottawa river, st lawrence. If you are closer to the buffalo side of the border then you can go up to the muskoka's, georgian bay etc.... There are thousands of resorts and great fishing in most lakes in ontario

cheers!!!

different sort of suggestion. Take a wander up here in Feb or March and attend one of the 2 Fishing /Sportsman shows. There a whack of lodges that set up booths, You can talk to the owners/guides flip through their photo albums and compare pricing all in the same day.

Arnsteins just a skip and a jump east of the French or Moon river areas - good bass, walleye. From Toronto the Rideau system is about the same distance as Arnstein

Other suggestions to check out

Lake Nosbonsing

Kashe Lake

Thanks all! Some great suggestions. I'm looking into all.

Has anyone stayed at any of these resorts? Or any others they'd recommend? If you'd rather not broadcast it to the world, you can always send me a PM.

One thing we will miss about the cottages we usually visit is that the family that runs them is terrific, and the families that show up there are always respectful. Also, as mentioned before, they're never over-crowded. Especially since there are several small lakes on the property that we have access to.

Would love to find a similar place to stay.

You may want to check this place out, it's on lake Manitouwabing about 2 hours north of Toronto. A buddy of mine rented a cottage there this summer with his family and did some pretty good fishing and then a group of us rented one for a fishing weekend in late September. We caught a few pike, bass and walleye but he said the fishing was better in August.

http://www.glenwoodresort.ca/facilities/index.php