The Progression of a Steelhead Newby

laszlo

gotta love it !!!!....so your now spreading your new addiciton to old buddies... :lol: ...there in no 12 step program for this ya know...

pound for pound the best fighting fish i've ever caught. straight up!

thanks for getting me started Miagi.

Laz, you want an insane fight, hit an early season fish out of the Notty :) Make sure you make it a point to get up there next year.

They are incredible.

given the Autumn we had its still early season :) the fish dont know what month it is...Lol...but your right they are all gone!!!! wait til next Season!!!! any meat hunters lurking,..its catch and release,...Big Bro is Watching!!!;)

Haven't had the chance to get out this weekend. Worked Saturday and today is my wife Anna's 33rd birthday.

Here comes Monday to the rescue!

The weather forecast has been all over the place. Now with the rain coming today I'm left with a situation regarding

where to go. The spot I've been fishing as of late will more then likely be too stained on Monday depending on how much

rain actually falls.

It might be time to try one of these gin clear eastern ditches I keep hearing about.

Hopefully a successful report to follow Monday evening.

Haven't had the chance to get out this weekend. Worked Saturday and today is my wife Anna's 33rd birthday.

Here comes Monday to the rescue!

The weather forecast has been all over the place. Now with the rain coming today I'm left with a situation regarding

where to go. The spot I've been fishing as of late will more then likely be too stained on Monday depending on how much

rain actually falls.

It might be time to try one of these gin clear eastern ditches I keep hearing about.

Hopefully a successful report to follow Monday evening.

Not so fast on the rain thing. It changed again. Originally they were forecasting 5-10. Now it's only five, which means we'll get 2 :huh: Seems to be the theme this year. :wallbash:

Bahahahaha,..I hope it rains 10-15mm and it is,,...wait for the report Manayana ;)

It's looking good!! :D

But I'll be stuck at the shop.. When life hands you a grape, you make wine with it eh?

Go eazy on him!! He's very timid with a 6 footer.. :lol:

Good luck boyz. Slay em good for all the rest of us pencil pushers.

Laz,..you did great today,..once we (you) started fishing that pocket...it was game on,...I wish I had have come over before you landed your 2nd fish instead of 4th in 20 min,..lol....I might have landed quite a few more for my tally.....that was sickola,...those Chromers were on fire for that hour,....the next learning curve is all about,..'when they aint on fire'....we talked about that today,...it will all come in time,...Again,...Good Job!!!!!

Before its done,..I have a question for Admin....187 replies and 6703 views or so...is this post some sort of record?

Edited by StoneFly

Laz,..you did great today,..once we (you) started fishing that pocket...it was game on,...I wish I had have come over before you landed your 2nd fish instead of 4th in 20 min,..lol....I might have landed quite a few more for my tally.....that was sickola,...those Chromers were on fire for that hour,....the next learning curve is all about,..'when they aint on fire'....we talked about that today,...it will all come in time,...Again,...Good Job!!!!!

Before its done,..I have a question for Admin....187 replies and 6703 views or so...is this post some sort of record?

Thanks. My best numbers so far.

About the thread numbers...I think I should win a Center Pin. LOL!

You could always try bottom bouncing the fast water provided it isn't too snaggy – I like doing this. I do quite well fishing artificials like plastic minnows, plastic worms, plastic eggs, sponge eggs, yarn flies, bigger flies with stiff hackles, etc.

You can also try what Bill mentioned…Big floats (11gr to ?) and use a ton of lead (split shots, slinkies, pencil lead, bass worm weights, etc) to get down to the bottom. When I fish the Niagara (fairly fast water and deep in a lot of places), I carry an assortment of floats (mostly slip floats) ranging in size from 11gr to 28gr (I think). This spring when I was down there, I set my float to 25-30ft and launched it in the middle of no where in the really fast stuff and got into a few fish – Really made me rethink about the way I cover water. Really liking the big blackbird balsa slip-floats and the Raven slip floats for big fast water - I destroyed way too many Drennans :lol: .

For size reference, the 2 floats on the left are what I normally use for small/med sized Lake O tribs...The other floats with a stack of shots on them are for the Niagara and pier fishing

DSC_5185.jpg

BIG FLOATS. my rod is rated 1/8 - 3/8 Oz, 3/8th is 10g, so I dont go bigger to 12 or 14g. can I? but then wont my rod me to bouncy? i have a raven IM8 14ft.. when i first started, i used a 20g piker on the niagara. thats way to large isnt it?

BIG FLOATS. my rod is rated 1/8 - 3/8 Oz, 3/8th is 10g, so I dont go bigger to 12 or 14g. can I? but then wont my rod me to bouncy? i have a raven IM8 14ft.. when i first started, i used a 20g piker on the niagara. thats way to large isnt it?

You rod isn't going to be 'bouncy' when you are drifting, lol.. I use whatever float I need to in order to get the bait down and get it down quick. If you are fishing big, fast water you need a big float and lots of shot..

The only ratings they should put on float rods are the line ratings :)

You rod isn't going to be 'bouncy' when you are drifting, lol.. I use whatever float I need to in order to get the bait down and get it down quick. If you are fishing big, fast water you need a big float and lots of shot..

The only ratings they should put on float rods are the line ratings :)

Correctomundo. And no, a 20g Piker on the niagara - when you are fishing slip float - is not too big, provided you have enough weight & the conditions allow for it. i.e. if you're only fishing in about 10' of water and the water is pretty clear, the Piker is overkill. But some sections of the Glen have over 20' - in spots like that the Piker is a great way to enable you to put on enough weight so that your bait gets down fast and stays down. All you need to do is slip the stop up and down, depending on the depth you need to fish at.

p.-

• 3 weeks later...

After a very difficult attempt on Sunday, I thought I should bring this thread back to life.

Last minute I decided to fish a river I hadn't been to since mid November. Water levels were up

a bit and the forecast was calling for a calm not so cold day. This area lacks depth a bit so the water being a little

higher was good.

I drove into town to see the water looked great! I don't fish in town though as it's wide open and too many anglers.

Once I got to my spot things looked crazy. The banks had plenty of ice, which I expected, but there was also a ton of slushy ice being

washed down river exactly at the spots I needed to cast. I continued on...

After three hours I went 0/0 fishing next to impossible conditions. The slush was everywhere preventing my float to sit right and my bait

from getting down below the surface properly.

I understand that timing is everything when it comes to Steelheading and I'll be the first to say that I was way off on this one.

Lesson learned.

This was one of the pools that didn't have as much slush washing down but it's not the best spot and lacks depth.

dsc00118.jpgw2592.png

As I approached this pool I could see that it was next to impossible to fish.

See the line of ice coming down. That's exactly where the fish are.

dsc00120c.jpgw2592.png

The best pool there, that had produced most of my catches earlier in the year, wasn't even close to fishable.

It's the main artery of the river and everything was washing down there.

Till next time...

Thanks for reading.

Laz

Edited by laszlo

• 4 months later...

I'm just realizing that this thread is still alive. Since the site upgrades I thought we lost all the old topics because I couldn't find them through 'My Topics' in 'My Profile'.

The search bar at the top helped me find my way back to this chronicle of sorts.

Well since this started I've landed many Steelhead, bought my first pin, met some great people, started

a new job and Anna delivered our first baby (Eliana).

So much can happen in 6 months!

A fly fishing progression may follow...

Edited by laszlo

• 10 months later...

Well I bought a Rapala RSC 8 foot rod last year , my reel has 12 pounds main line and I will be using 8 pound fluorocarbon leaders and size 8 gamakatsu hooks.

Will this be good for fishing steelhead and salmon at rivers like the Credit and the Humber?

• 2 years later...

I can't beleive this thread started almost 4 years ago now. Man time flies.

Fished a lot of great rivers with some solid guys/anglers!

Steelhead are by far my favorite species to fish handsdown.

Edited by laszlo