The Progression of a Steelhead Newby

laszlo

This fall is the first time I've attempted targetting Steelhead. Starting off with little knowledge has had many factors

working against me. This has led to 3 outings that have produced ZERO fish.

Gear:

6 foot Medium Action Spinning Rod.

10 lb Mono Line

Big Float

Big Hook

What more could I be doing wrong???

In the next week I plan on buying a 13' Float Rod and will be using my spinning reel for now and purchasing

a Center Pin next Spring.

Got some small trout hooks.

I re-spooled my reel with 8 lb 100% Flourocarbon.

Plan on buying some smaller slip floats.

Now I just need to get out to understand reading the water to determine where fish are holding.

Regardless of success, I'll be reporting back after every outing.

Let's hope this leads to posts with lots of pics.

Edited by laszlo

Gotta start out with the right equipment if you want to be successful. I'm not talking about a $1000 float reel and a $1000 custom float rod, but you are really handicapping yourself running the gear you are.

Why not go pick up a cheap Shimano Convergence 10'6 spinning rod? They are like $80.. This will help greatly with keeping your line off the water when you are trying to make a drift... Also pick up a few balsa floats (2g, 4g, 8g, 11g) some shot, and a few small hooks (8,10's)..

Read up on shot patterns.

http://www.fishonlineca.com/Float-Fishing/...g-Patterns.html

Get some roe, some bags, maybe some 3" Gulp pink steelhead worms, a few small jigs etc etc...

Biggest thing I'm still learning is reading the water.. It's great to have someone with you to point out what you should be fishing and what you shouldn't be wasting your time on...

I think we all appreciate your honesty........Sometimes people forget how long it takes to become a "better than average steelheader". I had alot of days catching nothing when my buddy's were doing well!

The most important thing to remember is to keep an open mind and not be stubborn. If something is working....utilize it!!

It takes years to become a good steelheader...so be patient and hang in there!! It will come!

I think your wasting your time trying to float fish with a 6 foot rod.....Someone suggested getting a 10.5 convergence.....Thats what I started with some 15 years ago. Actually it was a 10.6 Browning and spinning reel!!

A set up like this will get you into some fish, until you want to jump in feet first, with a 13 footer and a float reel!!

Good luck!!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

another trouble with the short rod, when you manage to hook into one, could be landing it.

steelhead make some pretty ferocious runs when they have enough river to do it in which leads to a lot of broken line for newbies.

the long rod REALLY puts the advantage back in your court when fighting these bruisers

I just came back from Bass Pro Shop. It was busy, I couldn't get help and the rod selection looked a little lacking.

I plan on going back on a weekday to buy a 13ft rod and some accessories.

I was there on saturday and i was also disappointed with the rod selection...

For such a big store you would think otherwise. :wallbash:

LeBarons had a few that were fairly priced..

There are far better places to go than BPS if you are after a float rod. Give some of the smallers stores (that specialize in this equipment) a try...there are lots of them around in the GTA and Southern Ontario for that matter.

Perhaps you could name a few..

I know a fella on this board that does pretty darn good on the steelhead with a spinning rod and reel!

I wonder what they used to catch them with before all this fancy stuff came out???

I Think you need to read the thread again bubba, no one told him he needs "fancy equipment."

Also to the OP, maybe take a look into a baitcaster as well (just a option) thats what I use on a 10.5 and 13.5 and I catch just as much fish as anyone else. the spinning gear will work fine though maybe a little cumbersome at times but will definitely work when you get the hang of it.

I Think you need to read the thread again bubba, no one told him he needs "fancy equipment."

Also to the OP, maybe take a look into a baitcaster as well (just a option) thats what I use on a 10.5 and 13.5 and I catch just as much fish as anyone else. the spinning gear will work fine though maybe a little cumbersome at times but will definitely work when you get the hang of it.

There is a older gentlemen that fishes the 'Geen with a big rod and a full sized Abu Garcia.. He cleans up all the time :)

I took my 8 foot Berkley Lightning Rod out today and I liked it :)

I might get a Float Rod/Reel.. depending how addicted I get...

If only we landed a fish :(

8' isn't bad for smaller creeks/rivers...

I wouldn't worry about landing any fish, if you hook into a few then you know you are doing something right!

Stick to it man, it's a lot of fun once you start to figure things out.. Also, if you want a float setup, buy used.. If you hate it, you won't lose much money at all by reselling it.

8' isn't bad for smaller creeks/rivers...

I wouldn't worry about landing any fish, if you hook into a few then you know you are doing something right!

Stick to it man, it's a lot of fun once you start to figure things out.. Also, if you want a float setup, buy used.. If you hate it, you won't lose much money at all by reselling it.

I had a blast today.

We saw the one bow fighting against the current up a REALLY shallow stream. We could have probably netted it, but wheres the fun in that :)

And we only saw 1 other fish, that was just hanging out in clear water.

I need to get better waders and some more comfortable gear, and I'll be happy to stay out there all day! :)

8ft is alright for the smaller creeks like bill said keep at it, its a load of fun when you start getting it down. Don't forget quickfish and flatfish, k7 or k8 should work. If you think creek fishing for bows is fun , you should try out the Niagara River 16lbs+ is not uncommon.

Edited by Hellfish

I had a blast today.

We saw the one bow fighting against the current up a REALLY shallow stream. We could have probably netted it, but wheres the fun in that :)

And we only saw 1 other fish, that was just hanging out in clear water.

I need to get better waders and some more comfortable gear, and I'll be happy to stay out there all day! :)

If you can see them, they can see you. I've never had any luck plucking fish out of gin clear water that were easily visible...

Might wanna chum them up a bit, then throw singles at them.

If you can see them, they can see you. I've never had any luck plucking fish out of gin clear water that were easily visible...

Might wanna chum them up a bit, then throw singles at them.

chum is great not only does it hold fish close to you, you always have a little afternoon snack :)