The Progression of a Steelhead Newby

laszlo

A 7 foot medium action rod is ok if thats all you have. A longer rod provides for greater presentation control and enables you to use lighter line and finesse setups for wary steelhead. Mind you, if your just starting out...going light will help you get more hookups. 8lb mainline and 4-6lb flouro leader with 12-14 size trout hooks. As you become more experienced and really want to experience a great high impact fight...then you can move up to heavier setups with 11lb flourocarbon leader and 65lb braid mainline and size 6 even 4 hooks.

If there is any piece of advice I can give you...is time on the water. Just go...as often as you can and keep your eye out on the other fishermen on the river. You'll see a wide variety of tactics and presentations. Its not as hard as you think it is...and it has more to do with timing your trips when fish have made the move up the river. Search some other posts relating to steelhead. There's some great info and methods from a lot of different perspectives.

Cheers

This fall is the first time I've attempted targetting Steelhead. Starting off with little knowledge has had many factors

working against me. This has led to 3 outings that have produced ZERO fish.

Gear:

6 foot Medium Action Spinning Rod.

10 lb Mono Line

Big Float

Big Hook

What more could I be doing wrong???

In the next week I plan on buying a 13' Float Rod and will be using my spinning reel for now and purchasing

a Center Pin next Spring.

Got some small trout hooks.

I re-spooled my reel with 8 lb 100% Flourocarbon.

Plan on buying some smaller slip floats.

Now I just need to get out to understand reading the water to determine where fish are holding.

Regardless of success, I'll be reporting back after every outing.

Let's hope this leads to posts with lots of pics.

Like ‘Musky or Specks’ mentioned, your set-up sounds just perfect for tossing spinners and lures to steelhead. My favourite set-up for spinner fishing small to medium sized tribs is a:

- 7ft Shimano Convergence (3pc) rated (8-17lb) but has a soft tip with a very meaty butt section. Handles lines down to 4lb just fine

- 2000 Shimano Stradic

- 6-8lb mono (I hate fluorocarbon mainlines…They are a pain to use)

When fishing bigger rivers with spinners or lures, I bump up to a 9’ medium light or medium action spinning rod (Rated 6-10 or 8-12lb).

I find with shorter rods while fishing small to medium sized rivers, I can pitch the lures more accurately to spots than I can with a longer rod and I can actually feel the spinner blades ‘sing’ as I retrieve it. I don’t find that I’m seriously hindered by the shorter length of the rod…If anything, it makes tailing fish a heck of a lot easier as well as bushwacking. I often carry both my float rod and my 7’ spinning rod when I fish.

My spinner selection is pretty basic. Mepps, Vibrax, Olympique and ones I made myself in Size 1-4

P1030249.jpg

A 6-7’ medium action spinning rod handles fresh steel just fine

20080426011.jpg

My 5’6” ultra-lite handled this one pretty well too

P1030355.jpg

Steelheading isn’t just a pastime, it’s an addiction. Instead of buying a pack of smokes like some people, I just buy a pack of pink worms or hooks instead :D . Like others have mentioned already, go out to one of your local rivers and chat with some of the other anglers. Most steelheaders I meet on the rivers are for the most part polite and willing to give tips to others who ask. 95% of the time when I ask another angler how it's going, I get a straight up answer with a list of things that worked or didn't. Pick their brains every opportunity you can and learn.

Ok, let's cut to the chase. Back to the original question.

It really doesn't matter much what gear you use for steelhead as long as you can present your offering in a natural way. Spinners and plugs are an exception to this as they are usually retrieved upstream. Roe, worms and flies (and thier derivatives) must be presented as naturally as conditions allow to consistently catch fish. This usually means using smaller hooks (6-14) light leaders (usually florocarbon) in the 4-8 lb range and the lightest float and shot that will get you bait into the strike zone. Usually downstream.

Each river system is different. Some of the "ditches" in the east of the GTA are easier to fish than some of the larger Georgian Bay rivers. The east rivers are usually narrower and the deeper spots where you cannot see the bottom wil hold fish at some time or other. Any wood debris or other materials that offer overhead cover will also hold fish. The drifts on these eastern rivers is usually shorter than larger flows, so finding productive spots is usually easier. I once saw a fellow use a 5 ft ultra light outfit with a float and he was nailing one fish after another. Not my weapon of choice but it worked for this guy. His presentation was very good. He would bump the same tree on every drift and often he'd hook up. He lost alot of fish too.

Rivers like the Nottawasaga, Saugeen and Maitland to name a few, are a whole differnt story. Longer casts and much longer drifts are manditory most of the time here. You still have to have a natural drift to catch steelhead constently, but a short rod can make that a lot more difficult. The longer rod make it a lot easier. The float reel has become the reel of choice, but a lot of very good fishermen still prefer the spinning reel and yes a few use baitcasters.

Use the best equipment that you can afford. Not everyone can drop $1500 for a state of the art float reel and rod. Learn how to present your offering in the most natural way and you will catch fish, lots of them.

I think that every fisherman/fisherwoman should be forced to fly fish for 2 years before they fish any other type of gear (LOL). It would force you to fish your offering as naturally as possible or you just catch much. I know I learned how to read the water much better after I learned to fly fish. My presention of the fy had to be as natuaral as possible to consistently catch fish. I would use this knowledge for many other spicies later.

8 or 10 lb mainlines are the norm. 2 to 8 lb florocarbon leaders and small hooks are the norm too. Use the heavies leader that conditions allow. The clearer the water the lighter the leader. Some guys prefer mono leaders but I like the duarbility of florocarbon.. Shot patterns vary for each condtion. The link posted earlier in this thread had some good ones. Use good knots that you confidence in. I use the Orivis tippet knot to join floro leaders to mainline and the Orvis knot for tying hooks and flies to the leader. They hold extremly well for me.

Use a variety of baits. Don't fall in love with one type of bait (I've done that too many times). If most guys are using roe without success. try a worm or fly or jig. Some days are just better than others. Sometimes the fish are just not there. Watch the guys that are successfull. Where they fish, how they fish and what they use. Watch the water for indicators of life. Are the insects active? Are the minnows being chased? get a thermomater. A rising temperature indicated greater activity of the fish. I use rising to 50 degrees F as my switch over temperature. I'll use woolly buggers, bigger pink worms and larger stone flies then. A dropping or low temp I go with egg clusters (I like the fake bead ones) and single egg flies or beads. 3 inch pinkies and jig round out my choices. I use those whenever I want or if nothing else is working. All of these are presented as naturally as possible with a short swing on a tight line at the end of the drift.

You may have noticed the "natural presentation" theme over and over again. Often it's not what you are using but rather how you use it. Don't be intimidated into believing that they is jsut one way to do it. I remenber about 20 years ago when everyone in my neck of the woods would never use anythin lighter than 15 lb test for walleye and a heavy pike leader and a bait casting outfit. Now 8lb is the norm and no leader. Mediun to light action rods ranging fro 7 to 9 ft now. But a long as a natural pesention can be made, fish will be caught. The same goes for rainbows.

muddler

Great post Muddler! Lots learned there, but being where there is fish is most important and what i find to be the hard part.

Too bad about most of this thread turned into a hissyfit, a lot of new knowledge could be gained. Maybe the self indulgent crap can be deleted?

I went to JB's Fishing Depot today. What a difference dealing with people who love fishing, giving good service and helping people out.

Rod of choice: Raven 13' 6" 3pc IM-6

Should be in by Friday and ready to put to use next week.

Also took a look at some Center Pins. Next spring I'll deal with that beast. Probably get an Islander of some sort.

I will report back after my first try at it.

After some research and recommendations, it's looking like I will be going with the

Raven 13' or 14' IM-8. Wish I could find it in stock though. Would love to fish this weekend but I may

have to wait until next week.

Excellent choice on the IM8 over the IM6.

If I were you I'd go with the 13'er.

Excellent choice on the IM8 over the IM6.

If I were you I'd go with the 13'er.

Looks like I may have found a 13'er in stock which means this weekend

will be the first time using a rod longer then 6.5'. I imagine it will feel kind of weird at first.

Even weirder when I match it up with a center pin next spring.

Let's bow our heads for a moment to the fishing gods praying that I catch my first Steelhead

this weekend.

I had a blast today.

We saw the one bow fighting against the current up a REALLY shallow stream. We could have probably netted it, but wheres the fun in that :)

And we only saw 1 other fish, that was just hanging out in clear water.

I need to get better waders and some more comfortable gear, and I'll be happy to stay out there all day! :)

Just a thought,..dont focus on seeing them. The ones you will catch you will not see beforehand. Focus more on reading the water,..and think,..."if i was a steelhead,...where would I be?"

Good stuff on the purchase Laz....now you WILL hook up with a bow this weekend but ....will you land your first???? :huh: not many people do ....the fish this year are very healthy and strong ...you will need all of your new rod to get them onshore.

Good stuff on the purchase Laz....now you WILL hook up with a bow this weekend but ....will you land your first???? :huh: not many people do ....the fish this year are very healthy and strong ...you will need all of your new rod to get them onshore.

A Weeeee bit Postitive,..but I guess the take home message would be CONFIDENCE,....that is huge!!! you have to have the right gear, and you need to be with fish,..and you need to do it right,....but then you also need to know when the float just moves a bit,...to set it or not,..considering it could be a snag and you may have some retying time ....you will figure it out...;) lookin forward to the pics :) you will start to realize your zone and perfect drifts,....I persnally like to call it the Babe Ruth... when you know you casted a perfect drift and you call a fish hitting it,...I get it around half the time...lol, when i know the fish are there that is...lol

i caught a bunch of steelhead in the spring with my 5'6" ugly stik, 8lb test using the small berkely pink trout worms and some tiny split shot. Just found a pool, drift and let the worm bounce along the bottom.

you can have the most expensive setups but it dosent matter what you use if you're fishing in pools that don't hold any fish.

Went 0 for 0 on Sunday but did learn a lot in the way of set up.

What I was doing before was way off.

Also learned that having a variety of floats is a must. The ones I brought were

way too small for the fast water.

So the progression continues along at a slow pace but it continues...

A Weeeee bit Postitive,..but I guess the take home message would be CONFIDENCE,....that is huge!!! you have to have the right gear, and you need to be with fish,..and you need to do it right,....but then you also need to know when the float just moves a bit,...to set it or not,..considering it could be a snag and you may have some retying time ....you will figure it out...;) lookin forward to the pics :) you will start to realize your zone and perfect drifts,....I persnally like to call it the Babe Ruth... when you know you casted a perfect drift and you call a fish hitting it,...I get it around half the time...lol, when i know the fish are there that is...lol

its kinda funny now in retrospect...the river was literally on fire last week ...saturday slowed a bit as the water cleared ....Sunday ( when Laz came up) the water was even clearer...but still pleanty of fish ...i went 0 for two in the bow sector but did land a chrome salmon ( weird year)...

Laz ....next ttime ill take you elsewhere sooner if the bite isnt hot right away...was good to meet you ...maybe the water temp was off or something ... :huh:

would you concur ?