BBQ as a smoker

ironstone74

If you want to use the gasser you will have to do it indirect (fish on one side, fire on the other) on the lowest setting. You can place a pan of water under the fish side for an added ballast which will resist temperature increases.

Lots of recipies for brine on the net, pick one that looks interesting.

I would suggest you save the hickory for pork or beef, and go with alder or apple.... much more mild and go much better with fish.

You could also just plank it and grill it faster, that will give you a slightly smokey flavour as well.

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

Yes....works great. I also found that any wood does good. I don't like fish that has been smoked for long periods of time so I also like the warm method. I put the fish fillets (usually brook trout) in brine (salt, lemon, onions and water) for up to 4 hours. I let the fillets dry till they are tacky and put in the BBQ for 1 hour. I place a rack on top of a pan of water and sit the fillets on that. You will have to spray the wood chips if you see any flame. I drilled a hole on the cover of my old bbq so that I can spray the chips without opening the hood.

Smoking fish is hard to mess up anyway. I've tried many methods and they all work.

For brine (when I do salmon) I like to use 400ML of soy and 100ML of honey. Mix the two in a pot and heat but not boil. If you get the brine to a biol it's too hot. Let cool after the honey has mixed in nicely. Then when cool add the fish to the brine and let sit in the fridge for 24hrs. I have used apple wood and alder and I like apple wood much better. Also you don't want the heat over 220* as an FYI...

Before I built my smoker I did a ton of quick smokes on the BBQ. For brine my recipe is pretty simple

500mls of Soy, 1L of water, 1 heaping tsp of fav BBQ or seasoning spice and 100 mls of Thai sweet chili sauce (available in most Grocery stores)

Make enough brine to cover fillets. Place fillets meat side down in brine and place in fridge for 24 hours

Get a cheap metal pie plate (not thin aluminum) and place your chips in that.

There is a bit of a trick needed to use your bbq as a low temp smoker and keep it from build up heat and just acting like an oven

Take the cooking grill off one side of the bbq and remove the ceramic stones so you can place the chips just above your burner. The lower the heat on the burner the longer you can smoke the fish rather than cook it in an oven. The lower the heat the closer your pan needs to be to the flame to get the chips burning. Put the burner on low and place fish on the other "cold" side. It's better if you have a bun rack up high and place the fish on it. let the smoke build up and check it every 20 mins or so to start.

gee fang, I'm going to have to try your brine with the sweet chili thai sauce now. it sounds good! :D

Oh Paul, when you make the brine put some in a spray bottle. every time I check on the fish I give it a spray to keep the fish moist.

I was told to try getting a larrge coffee tin, stick a soldering iron in one end and seal it up, have the other end half open and fill the can with whatever sawdust/chips you wanna use, put it under the BBQ and plug the solder iron in, have not tried it . It might have been a method to cold smoke though.