Cleaning Splake

charlied

Or, if they are of decent size, but not too big(that would probably be over 3 lbs. for me), leave the skin on, stuff em with whatever you like, rice, stove top, uncle bens, etc. coat them in margarine or butter, wrap in foil, and bake 'em.

really didn't know they couldn't reproduce...interesting....ministry stocks them so people can fish them and stay away from naturally reproducing lakers and speckies....well from what I know. But man do they hit hard and can fight pretty good...scrappy fish.

thanks trout....but do you think that it would have alot of contaminents in a lake like that that I think is spring fed.....would be interesting to find out if it does.

Depends on a pile of factors the sportfish eating guide is a good start to find out if the lake is polluted. anything around 1lb generally hasnt been alive long enough to accumlate a great deal pollutants.

thanks trout....but do you think that it would have alot of contaminents in a lake like that that I think is spring fed.....would be interesting to find out if it does.

That would depend on a number of factors; one being whether you were correct about it being spring fed :thumbsup_anim:

If the lake is near farms, the fish may contain organic contaminents from pesticides, these tend to build up in the fatty tissue. In this case, removing the skin along with is a wise precausion; although I wouldn't be too concerned about small fish.

If the lake is in more of a wilderness setting, then mercury would be more of a concern. Mercury contamination is actually a bigger problem in remote northern lakes than in areas such as the Kawarthas. Unfortunately, mercury is contained in the flesh of the fish so removing the skin and belly fat isn't going to help much.

Or, if they are of decent size, but not too big(that would probably be over 3 lbs. for me), leave the skin on, stuff em with whatever you like, rice, stove top, uncle bens, etc. coat them in margarine or butter, wrap in foil, and bake 'em.

Try this stuffing, in a pot on medium low heat mix up enough cubed bread with butter and orange zest, toss in whatever spices you like. Use enough butter to moisten all the bread cubes and enough orange zest (lemon/lime works too) so you can smell it without bending over the pot. Let it cool for a few minutes and stuff the citrus butter bread cubes into the trout and bake at 350 until it's done. The fish will have a faint citrus flavour to it, all through the meat. Tastes incredible, I've even got my Italian in-laws eating salmon from Lake Ontario.

Bread cut up in cubes, zest from an orange or 1 lemon & 1 lime, and enough butter to moisten everything up. Stuff into whatever salmon or trout you have. Simple quick and tastes great.