Downtown SSM King salmon

Kinger

Hey folks.

I had a busy week of college and was looking very forward to getting downtown and trying to get a King to play.

Got downtown just before dusk and washed some glow cleos. Decided to go to a crankbait to rattle an annoyance bite.

I went to pull out a pearl bomber long A, but my firetiger HJ got all jumbled up with it, so I put it on instead thinking, yeah I've done good with

Husky Jerks on salmon. Sure enough 10 casts later, massive slam and I got into a good salmon, he made 4 or 5 really nice long runs.

Thankfully two high school aged kids saw me fighting it and watched, so I asked one of them to take a picture for me.

fallking2.jpg

I was quite happy to have got to catch this fish after thinking about it and daydreaming about fishing all week.

I got him on my little bench I use to remove the hook and got another quick picture.

fallking3.jpg

Then, I wished him good luck spawning and sent him on his way, he revived very quickly and thrashed away!

fallking4.jpg

fallking5.jpg

I was considering staying around and throwing some slashbaits for walleye but I opted to rent a movie and wait for my girlfriend to get home for some victory activities, caveman style.

My next target, a st. mary's brown trout! wish me luck. Tight Lines!

I hear King milk makes great lube.. :lol:B)

Dirt Mcgirt dude!!

AHAHA, I'll see what she thinks of that idea. LOL.

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm buying my first spool of expensive ass florocarbon and a noodle rod as I turn my attention to brown trout...ahhh I can't wait.

is fluro needed or can i catch steelhead on 10 lb line?

Not needed at all.. Now if you are fishing gin clear water, you'll most likely have more hookups if you are running a flouro leader, but I know guys that never use it regardless of water clarity..

They make out ok :)

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

lemme know if you get a brown kinger...

i caught one back in the late 80's (maybe 8 inches) and haven't seen one since. i know they were stocked years ago, but i never see/hear anything about them anymore.

Luc, I got one out of the cdn hole in Feb of 2008, on the south side where the us current meets the pool. No pics as it was ridiculously cold out. Was maybe 5lbs. On an olive jig.

Rumor has it they are a little easier to catch after dark, but good luck with wading the raps at night.

No it wasnt an atlantic either.....

Edited by troutologist