Results From Testing The Dotted Ghost

Leecher

Hey folks remember this little guy I created a while back!!!

IMGP2004.jpg

Well today was the day I got to test it.... The plan was for Paul and I to go musky hunting on the Ottawa River. Overnight the temps dropped near freezing and this morning when I got up, fog was everywhere on the horizon :blink: All this to say that we weren't in any hurry to leave early, so by 12:30pm the car was all packed and ready to go.

Got to destination at around 1:30ish, got the boat launched and proceeded to the main channel through the creek. I was anxious to try it so on our way over, tied it on and waited until we got there. As soon as we got in position, I dropped the lure at boat side to see if it would work like a Jake but to my disappointment, the lure kept a straight line :blink: did not sway left and right like the real thing and wouldn't dive much :blush::(

So needless to say.... like the sub tittle of this post say "Got a brief workout today....."

it got removed from the line right away :lol: :lol: and tied on one of Paul's over-sized spinnerbait. We fished until 6:30pm, just before it got dark and did not even get a sniff :(

So it's back to the drawing board for Dotted..... will have to somehow created a bigger lip for it in plastic or similar product :unsure:

Thought I share the results with you

Leechman

Jacques, Jacques, Jacques!!! You were enjoying creature comforts when the fish were feeding! The solunar chart shows that the major feeding period for the fish this weekend is from 1/2 before daylight 'til 11:30 a.m.... and what's all this talk about it being cold outside? You're Canadian and supposed to be used to and love that kind of stuff!!! :w00t: The fish don't want you to be comfy, as a matter of fact... they would prefer you be miserable! The fish also don't want you to be prepared with heavy tackle and oversized baits, they want to bite something little on light tackle so they can break your heart and spirit when they break your line and make you cry! :(;)

Sorry to hear about the Dotted Ghost trial run, but keep messin' with it and you'll get it! Most folks use Lexan for the lips, and you can buy it at Home Depot.

Maybe Roy will get off his butt and post the Musky bait tutorial he's been telling me he's working on.

Bigger lip and bigger hooks would be my suggestion. Nice looking bait!

Thanks mistaredone!!! Yes will have to get a bigger lip for sure.... as for the hooks, those are Excalibur ones and think they would sustain a big gator strike.

So if it won't run like a Jake then use it as a sub surface jerk bait.

I could do that but without the side to side action, it's pretty useless.... will definitely be adding a bigger lip and give it another test run.

Jacques, Jacques, Jacques!!! You were enjoying creature comforts when the fish were feeding! The solunar chart shows that the major feeding period for the fish this weekend is from 1/2 before daylight 'til 11:30 a.m.... and what's all this talk about it being cold outside? You're Canadian and supposed to be used to and love that kind of stuff!!! The fish don't want you to be comfy, as a matter of fact... they would prefer you be miserable! The fish also don't want you to be prepared with heavy tackle and oversized baits, they want to bite something little on light tackle so they can break your heart and spirit when they break your line and make you cry!

Sorry to hear about the Dotted Ghost trial run, but keep messin' with it and you'll get it! Most folks use Lexan for the lips, and you can buy it at Home Depot.

Maybe Roy will get off his butt and post the Musky bait tutorial he's been telling me he's working on.

Glen the cold weather I'm used to, but it wasn't cold at all.... the fog was the major player in our decision.... was pretty thick to say the least. That's what kept us from going early like we use to. Would of made our journey out onto the River a little unnerving. So we waited for it to dissipate..... Hell I couldn't see the Gatineau hills at all from my front porch :blink: Which is usually what happens this time of year.... getting closer to deer season :D

If Roy could post his tutorial, that would be awesome B) Maybe I could get some tips about the musky making lures.

This is the only one that I made that did not work like I had anticipated. The Little woody worked fine..... did not catch any fish on it but only got a strike and it performed just like the real thing. I think my good friend Cudz aka Chris is performing some test with it on his local lake..... well I hope so :lol:

The spook, tried it back in August while bass fishing, it definitely performed to my expectations and some.... but made it a little too big / long for my rod and reel setup :blush: So I will make some more that are 5" inches long instead of 6" :D

The popper got a new skirt.... check it out

IMGP2076.jpg

Can you tell the difference? :lol: :lol:

and as for the Dotted...... well it's back in the shop where it belongs :lol: :lol:

IMGP2075.jpg

Jacques

I only say upgrade hooks after a loosing a big fish two weeks ago that bent out the 3/0 or 4/0 hooks on my 10" storm swim bait. From now on 6/0 minimum for me.

Thanks you mistaredone :thumbsup_anim: I understand what you are saying and truly appreciate your comments!!! You can never under estimate the power of a big gator and in your case the deception of being cut off by one. This will help me in modifying my future creations :thumbsup_anim: Thanks again!!!

AH YES!

i see those tip ups and i cant wait to try mine out!

the onse you made me!

dont forget jaques i put on order in for stephanie!

5 more tip ups are needed!

pm me the price and ill pay CASH! :lol:

They are worth every penny! :D

Thanks Kev.... tell Stephanie that I have her set already.... you need to pick it up and there's no charge, my gift to her :D Cause Stepanie is hot and your not :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Kev.... tell Stephanie that I have her set already.... you need to pick it up and there's no charge, my gift to her Cause Stepanie is hot and your not

Thats a good one jaques! :D:D:D:worthy::worthy:

any women who lets me fish everyweek end are keepers! :Gonefishing:

THANKS A MILLION for the tip-ups jaques.

Stephanie will be part of our DREAM ICE FISHING TEAM this year!

she seems to have a Horseshoe up her...................................................................

YA know the rest!

any women who lets me fish everyweek end are keepers! :Gonefishing:

THANKS A MILLION for the tip-ups jaques.

Stephanie will be part of our DREAM ICE FISHING TEAM this year!

Yeah I hear ya..... I have a keeper too ;):Gonefishing:

and your welcome :santa:

hi . extend the lip. go to 3 hookks and lose the hair on the rear treble.. that will give you the wobble. hope this helps. ive done a few here and there.

Thanks outlaw!!! I'll definitely make a bigger lip and also will move it about 1/4" back..... I think it's too close to the front.

dotted.jpg

Here ya go jacques

Here your bleue print!!! :whistling::whistling:

Thanks Kev for your artistic design..... now I gots some work to do :thumbsup_anim::lol:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Okay that made me laugh. :lol:

Yes Mike I could use it for a surface jerk bait but 1 out of 4 ain't bad at all :Gonefishing: