Salmon Tournament ... disappointed to say the least

krawler

I just got wind of a salmon tournament happening next weekend on a river feeding into one of our great lakes. Its put together by a local trailer park. These guys obviously know the state of the salmon fishery and how fragile salmon numbers have been in recent years. Im disappointed in the fact that these guys would put together a derby. clearly these people dont care!! I figure there will be about 50 anglers give or take, each will likely catch a fish if not more and all fish will be kept, what a slaughter it will be. Im sure none of the money raised will be going to any worthy cause. Im contacting the MNR and OPP, im not sure they know of the event. I hope they make an appearance, ill be there but am not entering the derby, ill be the guy cussing and questioning the organizers.

just wanted to rant and express my dissapointment.

krawler

I know we have all heard the state of the salmon fishery on Lake Huron/Georgian Bay that it sucks lately, but I fished a trib that runs into Georgian Bay and I saw more salmon than I have ever seen in the last twenty years. I went down to the river expecting a few here or there, but I counted nearly over two hundred. Not a lot of fresh fish, a lot of white tails but lots of fish and many were in good shape, some over twenty pounds. Did not see any of the long torpedo-like fish that others have seen. So maybe its not all that bad. Most of the Lake huron/GB tribs turn into sanctuaries after the trout season anyways, so there will be lots of salmon spawning in peace. And like Irishfield said, if they are fishing within the law, there is no problem, and more fish will be released than kept anyways.

Edited by Kingsalmon

Well my two cents is,if they did not want you to catch them they would not stock them. And as for most catching a fish well once salmon get into shallow water the odds on him opening his mouth in the act to hit the bait is about 15% Once salmon hit the shallow water they are not in a feeding mood anymore. Im sure lots will tell me lots of people catch them in shallow water but in fact the line catches them first followed by the hook. If those salmon would only keep the mouth closed it would make it hard to line them. Anyways im all for catch and release and aslo for catch and kill. As long as they follow the rules set out by the MNR then no harm no foul. They have as much right as anyone to catch fish and if it makes the guy or gal go home with cash or a prize for doing so I tip my hat to him or her. I'm sure im going to get lots of flack on this but again its my 2cents

Part of the problem with GBay & Huron is that they're not stocking them, the King runs depend mostly on natural reproduction.

IS this a suggestion that i might not have to go to the hatchery this winter ??? yes clofchick The Lake Huron Fishing Club is still raising Kings in Port Elgin and Kincardine is still raising trout ...This is funded by the proceeds of The Chantry Chinook Classic Derby . Although through the lacking numbers of participants due to the decline in the fish the past few years.....it is a question as to how long we will be capable of continuing to do so though. Maybe some one from the Syndenham Sportsmens Association can chime in for an update...but its my understanding they are still stocking as well even though there are many issues they are confronting ( like us)...So the problem isnt that they arent being stocked...the problem is more of you need to come and fish them in derbys to keep the resource alive especially at the times of zebra mussels and gobys . Yes the fish are smaller but they are on the upswing in size and numbers ...