Pickerel fishing

HUKDONFAWNIX

Agreed in the summer months, thats what we use...leave the minnows alone.

We put them on jigs, spinners, and even use them on worm harnesses. A little tip using leeches...if you put them on your lure and they come up wraped in a tight ball...the water is too cold...change your bait to artificial, minnows, or worms...if you bring the leech up and they are stretched like they have been swimming...get ready...you will have a fish on soon.

Can I use them for ice fishing? How do I rig the live ones? Through the "head" on a jig?

As anders said:

A little tip using leeches...if you put them on your lure and they come up wraped in a tight ball...the water is too cold...change your bait to artificial, minnows, or worms...if you bring the leech up and they are stretched like they have been swimming...get ready...you will have a fish on soon.

I'm assuming during the winter months, the water would be too cold.

Can I use them for ice fishing? How do I rig the live ones? Through the "head" on a jig?

Some people may do it differently, but we hook throught the sucker of the leech first, then again 1/4 down the body to let the rest of the leach move freely...this way the leech is hooked twice, moves nice in the water, and is a lot tougher to get pulled off the hook

Can't use the real ones for ice fishing, first they roll up in a ball plus you can't get them in bait shops after September. I haven't tried the Gulp Alive ones ice fishing. But I like them just as much as the real ones. Plus you don't have to refrigerate, and you will be able to catch 6 walleyes before having to replace it. To get more action with the Gulp leeches a use my scissors and split the tail in 2.