Shopping for a land line

ohhenrygsr

Hey OFNer's just wondering if you can suggest me any good deals for land line companies. Currently i'm paying about 50 a month for a land line that's not including long distance i think with Bell.

I get a great deal from Wightman's but I'm not sure they get to your area yet

JF

Toronto star has a pretty fantastic long distance deal...4 bucks a month unlimited in north america, plus a 10 per year membership fee.

Vonage is apparently great if you have cable high speed internet (not nearly as good if you have phone/dsl high speed)

Unlimitel? as well, apparently.

Magic Jack is a great thing except, last I heard, they didn't have any Canadian numbers so your friends would have to call long distance to the states to call you. We get voip service from Vianet here for $12.50 a month with call display, call waiting, call answer and call forwarding all thrown in. Long distance is nickel a minute.

My experience with Bell has gone on for about 14 years. When shopping around I find that for the same service, (landline, two cell phones, internet but not cable) works out to within a few dollars of an all inclusive pkg which would include cable offered by another company. My cell is now off of a plan and I pay about 19.00 month to month. My other cellphone, a blackberry (my wife's) costs me about 65.00 a month on a plan. When we look at another plan that throws in all the free bells and whistles the bottom line is only about 6 or 7 dollars difference which also includes cable. But they can never give you an exact cost on a monthly basis that you would be expected to pay. They then confuse you with multiple long distance plan pkgs. to make it more complicated.

That log cabin in the bush looks more and more appealing.

Soon we will be in a position where the blackberry is no longer on a plan but on a month to month and then we will be ready to bargain for a lower overall cost. If we switch before that we pay huge fees for cancelling a plan. Note that I have three teenagers at home which makes it five on the internet most times. Of course they all want a cell phone also!!!!! Communications is costing me a bundle every month. And it seems no one anymore can do without the cell, internet, cable, etc. etc. but I am always willing to give it a go.