09/22/2009 Grand River Brantford

jaysonmarion@gmail.com

I got home from work and got the fishing itch.

I went out and got a dozen worms and headed down to Cockshutt bridge.

Alot of people fish right under the bridge, and thats ok, but the better spots are upstream and downstream around the bends.

I walked and found a new spot that I'm going to hit up early morning on the weekend. It seems to drop off to fairly deep water almost immediately.

I tossed my White Jig with White twister tail on it for a bit, but didn't get any hits. So I went back to trusty Worm + Hook.

Got this guy after about 30 seconds. 2.1lbs

8323_287918860191_644550191_9150968_817493_n.jpg

Then this guy almost took my pole in the water.

8323_287918870191_644550191_9150969_8020619_n.jpg

The mosquitos started to get REALLY bad and I had to take a 15 minute trek through the dark and mysterious forest in the pitch black.

So I decided to cast out one more time while I cleaned up.

I haven't ever caught a sucker this big before. He fought like a champ. Put him on the scale, 3.6lbs.

8323_287918880191_644550191_9150971_6899581_n.jpg

8323_287918885191_644550191_9150972_2794783_n.jpg

The pictures don't really do it justice. I tried to show the scale by putting the Gulp spray next to it.

I don't really like catching suckers/catfish, but when nothing else is biting, they are always a fun fish to catch :)

Until next time... :)

Nice suckers Ultyma! Wonder where all the game fish went in the grand river. :whistling:

Rare to see a sucker report at this time of the year, and to that I congratulate you :)

I've never been able to find a decent spot to consistently catch bass/walleye from the shore.

I've walked the shore up and down for miles :(

Keep trying man, they're in there. I had several trips with minimal success on the Grand before I started to consistently get into fish. If you keep putting in the effort I'm sure you'll find them too. I'm not overly familiar with that stretch of the Grand but bass are everywhere in the river so if you're walkin the miles you'll get into them. Sometimes the bite is just cold. We've had some weird weather the last few days and that may have slowed them down.

Keep trying man, they're in there. I had several trips with minimal success on the Grand before I started to consistently get into fish. If you keep putting in the effort I'm sure you'll find them too. I'm not overly familiar with that stretch of the Grand but bass are everywhere in the river so if you're walkin the miles you'll get into them. Sometimes the bite is just cold. We've had some weird weather the last few days and that may have slowed them down.

Yeah :(

I seem to be able to find the small < 1lb smallies everywhere, but I can never find their parents :(

It looks like the first sucker that I caught, but bigger. lol..

I've never even heard of a "red horse"

Notice the size and color of the dorsal, pectoral, and anular fins... very large... they confused between carp and suckers, the are Actually Red Horses!

Pick out the one it looks like to you.

http://www.picsearch.com/pictures/animals/...e%20sucker.html

Notice the size and color of the dorsal, pectoral, and anular fins... very large... they confused between carp and suckers, the are Actually Red Horses!

Pick out the one it looks like to you.

http://www.picsearch.com/pictures/animals/...e%20sucker.html

Ahhh :)

Very cool.

Thanks for the lesson GCD :) I learned something new today!

Nice redhorse sucker. Thanks for the report.

There are a lot of them in the Grand. The biggest one I caught was 27". They are mostly in deep water now. One of the best times to catch them is from now to mid November. Can get 20 of them in an hour or two from a good hole. Many in 19 or 20'' range. Not a lot of people keep them, so we see more sucker and bigger sucker each year.

Edited by fishing