Salmon question...

heri0n

Do they salmon come in after a big rain or during? Should you fish on a pier during or right after the rain? And how long before you can actually fish a little upstream in the creek or river (below 403 in oakville/mississauga) ?

PS a quick question on the board setting... when i log in and i read threads, the replies only show the titles and not the bodies, but when i am not logged in it shows the full bodies, i prefer this view. I tried playing with the settings but couldn't find how to change this, would be nice to fix it.

Another question...

I see a lot of members complaining about snagging fish illegally in Bronte Creek, unfortunately as I live in Burlington, this is the only place except maybe the Credit that is viable to visit on a weekday.

Can anyone tell me a legit way to catch them if I manage to find a quiet spot? :P

Edited by heri0n

As far as your first questions fish come in after the rain while the water is high. How far up the stream they go depends on how much rain/ what the river levels are. It takes time fishing a river before you can read how far up the fish will move at certain river levels, but water temperature plays a role.

• 2 weeks later...
Do they salmon come in after a big rain or during? Should you fish on a pier during or right after the rain? And how long before you can actually fish a little upstream in the creek or river (below 403 in oakville/mississauga) ?

PS a quick question on the board setting... when i log in and i read threads, the replies only show the titles and not the bodies, but when i am not logged in it shows the full bodies, i prefer this view. I tried playing with the settings but couldn't find how to change this, would be nice to fix it.

Another question...

I see a lot of members complaining about snagging fish illegally in Bronte Creek, unfortunately as I live in Burlington, this is the only place except maybe the Credit that is viable to visit on a weekday.

Can anyone tell me a legit way to catch them if I manage to find a quiet spot? :P

I would suggest going to Hamilton Harbour Pier. Its not that far away from you and its had a bunch of good nights the last week or so.

Too many people on the Bronte these days.

I think they are good at the pier after the rain.

We went last night, and we left around 11pm and at 11:30 there were numerous sightings :( That's the way it always is lol...

Going back tonight with a bunch of new gear to try again!

As for the question about legit catching, I would grab some glow spoons and cast. That's what every single person was doing the last few times I've been to the pier.

Edited by Ultyma316

Read the local regulations on the Ministry site for your zone

Another question...

Hooking the fish in the mouth is the only legitimate way that I know of ...

Snagging them is NOT legitimate.

That's what I meant...

How to hook a fish in the mouth and not snagging it?

Well, let it bite :) If you do happen to snag one (and it happens at this time of year) break it off..

I doubt you'll be snagging much hucking spoons off the pier though.. Those fish are fresh and there will be no mistaken when they smash your spoon :)

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Well, let it bite :) If you do happen to snag one (and it happens at this time of year) break it off..

I doubt you'll be snagging much hucking spoons off the pier though.. Those fish are fresh and there will be no mistaken when they smash your spoon :)

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Yep.

Had a 25lb+ smash my spoon tonight. You haven't caught a fish until you've caught a salmon... Man oh man do those things fight.

Yep.

Had a 25lb+ smash my spoon tonight. You haven't caught a fish until you've caught a salmon... Man oh man do those things fight.

Oh, listen to you, mister salmon veteran now! :P You haven't caught a salmon till you get it on the pier and prove it with a picture! :rolleyes:

Oh, listen to you, mister salmon veteran now! :P You haven't caught a salmon till you get it on the pier and prove it with a picture! :rolleyes:

Lies! lol...

I consider it caught. Spending 15 minutes trying to net it to no avail :(

Oh well, there's always next time. I'm in it for the fight more then the glory! :) lol

Yep.

See what happens when you take advice from some of the veteran members of this board?

Sounds like you a hooked now, better start saving up the $$$$!!!!

I'll agree, nothing like a chinook peeling off 100yrds of line in a matter of seconds.

See what happens when you take advice from some of the veteran members of this board?

Sounds like you a hooked now, better start saving up the $$$$!!!!

I'll agree, nothing like a chinook peeling off 100yrds of line in a matter of seconds.

:worthy:

Yes I see it now :)

After I caught that I got a pretty bad snag and ended up breaking (or it came undo) Flurocarbon -> wire leader connection.

Lost that CT Spoon :(

I'm gonna have to go back and get one. I'm thinking of going to Angling Outfitters on my lunch and picking up a couple more now too.

It is definitely the most addicting thing I've ever done..

so the only legit way is to throw spoons off a pier?

there's no legit ways to fish in a river?

You can fish in the river no problem, but don't expect the fish you see in 2ft of water swimming around to hit :)

Find the deeper holes and you should have no problems finding fish that aren't spooked.