The Grand was good this afternoon

jediangler

My fishing buddy and I decided to hit the Grand river in Kitchener for some shore fishing for smallmouth bass today. We started at 11am and fished 3 different spots for an hour each. At the first spot we had a double header of 12" smallies. His was on a wooly beavertail and mine was on a power shad. The second spot I landed another one around 12" and he lost one to a jump and spit. Then he lost one that wrapped him around a boulder and snapped his line. I decided to roll up my pant legs and get in the river so I could cast to a likely looking spot. I switched to a bitsy bug jig with a spidergrub in pumpkinseed. As soon as it hit the water I saw some little minnows break the surface so I knew something was going for my jig. During the fight I called to my buddy because the bass I hooked had two good sized buddies of his own that were following him as I reeled in.

19_5inch.jpg

It measured 19.5" and had a healthy girth for a river fish.

19_5release.jpg

Released to make someone elses day.

20inch.jpg

As soon as he put the camera down my buddy casted to where the two followers were and hooked up with this 20" smallie with a tube jig.

We moved to the third location where I hooked up with another fish that was at least as big as the two we landed. It decided when it was 4ft from me that it didn't want to be landed and spit the hook. I would have been upset if I hadn't landed a decent one earlier but I had the fun of the whole fight before it got off. It was a little windy but not a bad way to spend a few hours on the river.

Edited by jediangler

Those are some good bass, nice to see the Grand being good to you. It's been very good to me lately.

Interesting note that you saw a few followers. I've been noticing that too. I know it's relatively common for smallies but I've been noticing it a lot more the past few weeks. Must be fall time.