should I order USA or in Canada

holdfast

I'm looking at buying a combo for around a 100 dollars. The Rod will hopefully be a Bass Pro Micro Lite Graphite at 39.95 not sure if that was Canadian or American. The reel will depend where I get it from. It ll replace my Mitchell 308 so it ll be a light to ultralight reel. I'm looking at not paying over 100 dollars on line and the same store. Where is my best bet. Also maybe someone has another combo that I could look into. The rod has to be 6'6 at least and light to ultralight, The reel the same with some capacity for also ultra light trolling. I have to consider exchange, postal, and duty if applicable

Thanks

Holdfast:

IMI for reel look into Quantum Xtralite XP reels for the money and also for the rod, check Quantum Xtralite rods and Tetons, just be aware that Quantum Xtralite has different series I think XS and XP series that XP series are higher graphite modules so more sensitive but lighter.

Check this:

Quantum Xtralite XP series rod on ebay

Hey Rob, I would stick with the Mitchell. I have two older 300's and they both are workhorses. Maybe not as smooth as some of the high end reels, but they are cheap and they work great for years. Mine are both over 20 years old and still work great. :D

Sorry to hear you lost your combo, dude that sucks! :angry:

Holdfast, I just bought two combos last week. Both rods are 6'0" Daiwa Procyons LINK, they come in 6'6"UL if you can find them. The reels I went with 1500 series, which gives me the perfect balance with no tweaking and better casting distance, one is the Daiwa Exceler and the other is the Capricorn, a little hard to find. The BPS graphite series is a nice rod, but for me it's too whippy.

yeah I ordered 4 packs of yum swim baits and buy the time I payed duty/shiping and a unnamed fee of 15$ US it worked out to 23$ CAD per pack which sells at BPS T.O for $8.99 could have made the 1.5hour drive to BPS and still saved a few bucks and BTW I have yet to catch a fish with them lol.stick to Canadian sites or your local tackle shop.

yeah I ordered 4 packs of yum swim baits and buy the time I payed duty/shiping and a unnamed fee of 15$ US it worked out to 23$ CAD per pack which sells at BPS T.O for $8.99 could have made the 1.5hour drive to BPS and still saved a few bucks and BTW I have yet to catch a fish with them lol.stick to Canadian sites or your local tackle shop.

You should do the math before you order dude!

I buy online, but it is stuff I can't get locally or a really good deal that is less than I would pay here (including the S&H)

When I ordered them they weren't available in Canada only BPS had them I did the math they just added that extra $15 for ??? Didn't say why I won't do it again that's for sure besides the wife always gets the credit card bills in the mail so she really knows what I spent and we can't have that ;)

Well I made my decision. I decided to take the 1.5 hr drive to Saskatoon and see what they have to offer at the stores in the Big City. North Battleford only has the Canadian Tire ( Worst one Ive ever seen anywhere) The Coop and Walmarts ( All reels are displayed packaged or combos) that sell fishing gear. My choice would be the same model Mitchell 308X , the display model and last one at the Coop for 49.99 and the Rod being an ultra lite 7ft Daiwa Tactix that I fell in love with for 59.99.

My first stop and would be my last stop on the way out was Wholesale Outdoors. The Daiwa Tactix Rod was selling for 49.99 and I picked up a 7 ft Lite Cherrywood for 24.99 went and seen the salesman and came up with two Reels in my price range. Mitchell 308XE 51.99 and a Pflueger Trion for 49.99. The big difference is the Trion held less line. When I did my rod test in front of the clerk and broke the tip of Cherrywood, and apologized it was the Tactix that sold be. Very durable, By the way, I used to be a fan of the Cherrywood as I have one, I will never buy another. Here's my pick

P9190133.jpg

A little smaller than the Mitchell, smooth as silk, I never owned one, and an alum spare spool.

I also forgot. Check this out. A rod and reel bag which will hold multi combos, Tackle pockets on Both sides, and Back Packing straps. I ll put a couple of Dowels inside to protect the rods and now I have a dust proof bag. Perfect for canoeing

P9200001.jpg

Thanks for the input. It was a hard decision between the two reels.

Edited by holdfast

You probably got your stuff through UPS. That unnamed fee is what was charged by UPS for the extra trouble to take the parcel to Customs Canada. Always get your items shipped via USPS. USPS and Canada Post work hand in hand and most small parcels with low value do not even go through Customs.

UPS makes a lot of money by sidestepping all parcels through Customs.....no matter is there are custom charges or not.