smaller trout in the credit river

chandru

hello everyone,

im new to the site, just wanted to put my question out there...

im looking for some spots to try fly fishing for some resident trout. just picked up fly fishing, looking to practise and catch some fish. i know the season ends soon so id like to get in some action before then. i live in mississauga near square one if anyone knows any good areas other than erindale....:-p its so busy there! i would be wading most of the time. any intersection names and directions to locations that are within 30 mins would be greatly appreciated. (im a 4th year nursing student very low on gas money!!!! closer the better but i want some results too....) thankyou for your time and any advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to the board, Chandru :) You may find that asking for spots--especially spots for native trout on the credit-- has a bit of a low success rate. Here's what I can tell you about the Credit and trout:

1) Pay attention to the special regulations and access areas...most of which are posted, but check your regs summary as well

2) Start scouring the net for info....it's out there...I've done okay by googling and driving. And walking. And fighting off biting ants :)

Good luck!

How long have you been flyfishing? How many resident trout have you caught? If you want Residents, they are up and down every stretch of pretty much every river!!! We catch them by accident all the time while going after bigger game. I assume you know what to look for and where to cast? The ones we have caught are in the 12-14" range generally, and they are fun for sure. Best way and most satisfying is to learn on the river, not ask for on the internet where to go.

BTW, whoever mentioned 'Native trout', the only natives we have around here are lakers and specks and I doubt any will be had within 30 min of Mississuaga, on any river, unless of course you drive 250km/hr to Niagara, lol.

Rainbows and Browns are not 'native', they are introduced, arguabley have established themselves to a degree as 'Wild'.

:D

Cheers and goodluck. By the way, what weight is your flyrod? There are some Bigass salmon in some tribs right now, we catch them on flies but not with a flyrod, there are much better ways. Please no comments on lining or snagging...PLEASE...its done to death already, lol. :P

How long have you been flyfishing? How many resident trout have you caught? If you want Residents, they are up and down every stretch of pretty much every river!!! We catch them by accident all the time while going after bigger game. I assume you know what to look for and where to cast? The ones we have caught are in the 12-14" range generally, and they are fun for sure. Best way and most satisfying is to learn on the river, not ask for on the internet where to go.

BTW, whoever mentioned 'Native trout', the only natives we have around here are lakers and specks and I doubt any will be had within 30 min of Mississuaga, on any river, unless of course you drive 250km/hr to Niagara, lol.

Rainbows and Browns are not 'native', they are introduced, arguabley have established themselves to a degree as 'Wild'.

:D

Cheers and goodluck. By the way, what weight is your flyrod? There are some Bigass salmon in some tribs right now, we catch them on flies but not with a flyrod, there are much better ways. Please no comments on lining or snagging...PLEASE...its done to death already, lol. :P

Most every Lake O trib has native brookies in the headwaters.

If you are after "smaller trout" ie resident fish, the Upper Credit is a reasonable drive from Mississauga - 30-40 minutes.

As mentioned, no one is going to post specific directions however I suggest focussing your efforts almost anywhere above the Village of Inglewood. Between and Inglewood and the Cataract you'll primarily find Browns. Above the Cataract, it's Brookie water. There are lot's of access points at road/trail crossings and unless it's posted land, you are usually good to go.

There are limited hatches right now so I would stick to nymphing for your best chances of hooking up.

Because of the fishing pressure and the fact that it's all C&R water, the fish get educated quickly so don't expect easy success but if you put in the time, it can be incredibly rewarding.

Here are a few shots of what lurks up there to get you motivated!!! Good luck!

52507-4.jpg

60707-8.jpg

61106close1.jpg

P1010310-1.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

60707-3.jpg

wow lol i had no idea this was such an active community! thats awsome thankyou so much to all of you, thanks for the pics they definately do help to motivate! i will be heading up this weekend and yeah i was checking out the google earth maps north of inglewood the river has alot of bends up there im expecting some nice eddies to cast into.

as for the nymphs... anything in particular?

Welcome to the board, Chandru :) You may find that asking for spots--especially spots for native trout on the credit-- has a bit of a low success rate. Here's what I can tell you about the Credit and trout:

1) Pay attention to the special regulations and access areas...most of which are posted, but check your regs summary as well

2) Start scouring the net for info....it's out there...I've done okay by googling and driving. And walking. And fighting off biting ants :)

Good luck!

Yep what he said, look for flyfishing only areas, Trout season closes at the end of September except as noted in the extended seasons section of the regs. Good luck.

jjcanoe

Most every Lake O trib has native brookies in the headwaters.

So from Mississauga, you have maybe 3 main tribs that all meet in the same spot really,...arguable that u cant get there in 30 min from Erindale unless driving real fast,....and yes they are stocked,..but have any been caught over 8 "? meamning do they take? and shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

and yes they are stocked,..but have any been caught over 8 "? meamning do they take? and shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The Brook Trout in the west end headwaters are not stocked and other than a limited Brown Trout stocking program on the upper Humber, the Browns are wild too. Brook Trout over 8" are definitely present in relative abundance - as with any resident fish, they get tougher to catch as they get bigger but I've fooled my share of bigger Brookies on flies up there.

As for nymphs, most of those fish in the pictures took various Mayfly nymph patterns. I like Prince Nymphs, Pheasant Tails, Copper Johns etc...all with lots of "triggers" such as gold or copper bead heads, gold ribs, and even crystal chenile in the place of real peacock herl on the thorax portion of the fly. Don't be afraid to go big as well - ie #10 or even #8 flies as opposed to the typical #14 and#12 sizes...they get the attention of bigger fish!

Edited by wallacio

The Brook Trout in the west end headwaters are not stocked and other than a limited Brown Trout stocking program on the upper Humber, the Browns are wild too. Brook Trout over 8" are definitely present in relative abundance - as with any resident fish, they get tougher to catch as they get bigger but I've fooled my share of bigger Brookies on flies up there.

As for nymphs, most of those fish in the pictures took various Mayfly nymph patterns. I like Prince Nymphs, Pheasant Tails, Copper Johns etc...all with lots of "triggers" such as gold or copper bead heads, gold ribs, and even crystal chenile in the place of real peacock herl on the thorax portion of the fly. Don't be afraid to go big as well - ie #10 or even #8 flies as opposed to the typical #14 and#12 sizes...they get the attention of bigger fish!

god time you bring a 4 wt and show me the ropes lol

Check the regs to make sure you are not fishing out of season :)

i checked the cvc website and it currently says the trout season ends sep 30? .... please correct me you know otherwise! i wouldnt want to get booked on my second time out fly fishing!

i checked the cvc website and it currently says the trout season ends sep 30? .... please correct me you know otherwise! i wouldnt want to get booked on my second time out fly fishing!

Any trout fishing you'll wanna do now will most likely occur south of the 407 :)

Everything else is pretty much closed. (check the exceptions in the regs)

Edited by BillM

Any trout fishing you'll wanna do now will most likely occur south of the 407 :)

Everything else is pretty much closed. (check the exceptions in the regs)

Chandru is correct Bill - there are still two weeks to go in the regular Trout season, including the Upper Credit. Good luck if you go!

I'll definatly be heading up with a buddy on Sunday wow reading all these posts is really getting me amped! If I didn't have to finish up school this year I'd be out there every day but of course I'll have time for that after graduation and the cash starts rolling in! Or so I hope LOL