Long Lake Report... Where'd all the fish go?

wask

This if my first photo report and probably my last full day of fishing for the season.

I was at Long Lake, in the Kawartha Highlands near Apsley. Last time I was here was two years ago and I had an incredible day. Hauled in three largemouth over 3 pounds and a small mouth that was almost five pounds.

These pics shocked me at the quality since they were taken with my Blackberry Storm.

Screenshot2009-09-14at91420PM.png

I rolled out of bed to semi-sunny skies in Peterborough, but as I traveled further toward Apsley, the skies were looking pretty bleak. In fact the temperature had dropped to 15 (18 in Ptbo) and even was spitting rain on my as I traveled up highway 28. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled.

When I got to the boat launch, this is what it looked like...

IMG00067-20090914-0957.jpg

Since the weatherman said it was going to be 23 and sunny, I was sorely disappointed. With the chop on the water, courtesy of the breeze, I decided to run to Apsley to pick up a long sleeve shirt, presumably the only XL that was for sale in town today and it looked like two stores were open.

After picking up some warmth, I headed back to the lake to launch. It was still a little dreary, but if you've been to the Kawartha Highlands, it is always a place full of stunning scenery.

IMG00070-20090914-1121.jpg

IMG00069-20090914-1057.jpg

Naturally, I was heading into the wind, going three horses strong in my 12 ft. tinner. I puttered around and realized fighting the chop was going to be a battle all day.

IMG00068-20090914-1056.jpg

I fished around in the small bay near the marina and found nothing that the fish or I liked.

I headed up the main body of the lake, and after about an hour, the Lord finally decided to give me a glimpse of sunlight.

IMG00073-20090914-1135.jpg

After fshing away the morning, I came to the portage to Buzzard Lake

IMG00083-20090914-1311.jpg

Screenshot2009-09-14at92535PM.png

The guy at the store told me it was 540 meters from lake to lake, so I counted it by steps... right around 500 steps for me... I don't think my stride is a meter?

Here are some more pics of Buzzard...

IMG00077-20090914-1243.jpg

IMG00078-20090914-1255.jpg

IMG00079-20090914-1255.jpg

IMG00080-20090914-1258.jpg

IMG00081-20090914-1259.jpg

IMG00082-20090914-1304.jpg

I left the portage and headed a little further north to where Long turns into Loucks Lake with the plan to let the wind drift my back the way I had come, fishing as I go.

I pulled out the bait caster and promptly got some action...

IMG00084-20090914-1330.jpg

There was one bright spot in the experience to this point...

IMG00086-20090914-1339.jpg

I brought along an old spool of Berkley TriMax, 17lb test I had picked up in a huge lot of line off of ebay that I had bought for some old wood spools that were included, with this being a bonus. I stripped off the old 12lb test line and set up to spool my bait caster on the water. I find this to be a really neat setup from this spool of line, it has a clip on case so you can just clip it on your rod and reel. Makes things easier for sure, I'll be using this for spooling from now on...

IMG00087-20090914-1347.jpg

As i drifted along, I finally got some bots on old reliable, the smoke colored senko.

One lucky cast, wait... wait... set the hook and...

IMG00089-20090914-1433.jpg

That pretty much summed up the day. I did catch a half dozen more, none more than a pound. I need to do some reading on finding bass in the wind because it really made for a huge challenge for the day.

I headed in early, my flat bottom 12 footer wasn't made to deal with the wind, so when it picked up, I packed up.

IMG00097-20090914-1644.jpg

All in all it was a great day, as is any day spent on the water as opposed to spent in the cubicle...

[/size]

some great looking photos, especially from a blackberry! Who needs a camera?

No doubt. It has a 3.3 MP camera and I knew it was decent, but I really feel like it was great. I'm shocked.

I almost dropped it over the side a couple of times, which would have been bad... ha.

Sounds like a pretty good report...but I'm at work and can't see the pics :wallbash: Will check 'em out when I get home...I've got the same bb camera, and it's amazing!

Just curious...you portaged the tinner? By yourself?

My $0.02 for the wind troubles --> DRIFT SOCK! Sooo worth it :)

Yeah, wasn't clear on that. I just walked the portage to check it out, didn't actually portage. I stayed on long. I'm thinking of a way to put wheels on my boat, but that is a project for the winter or something. That would be a one man portage though with wheels on the boat.

Sounds like a pretty good report...but I'm at work and can't see the pics :wallbash: Will check 'em out when I get home...I've got the same bb camera, and it's amazing!

Just curious...you portaged the tinner? By yourself?

My $0.02 for the wind troubles --> DRIFT SOCK! Sooo worth it :)

Cool report and beautiful scenery thanks.

Trimax hasn't been around for years. 18-19 years ago it was my favourite line and incredibly expensive.

I was sad to see it discontinued.

Be interesting to see if line that old holds up.

I didn't actually catch any fish on it, but from everything I've seen from casting and getting snagged up yesterday, it is still fine. I think I have 2 or 3 more rolls of it too.