Long Weekend Report

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

This weekend I got the rare opportunity to get away for a weekend. The lady and my son took a road trip for the weekend so dad got to get out to do some fishin, and more importantly, spend time at his favourite place in the world.

My family immigrated from Finland and like many Finns settled in Northern Ontario because it was comparable to their homeland, and had lots of forestry camps, a form of work Finns were used to. They settled north of Sault Ste. Marie in a small community to have a small farmstead, raise some cattle, and grow a few veggies.

This farmstead is still in my family and is by far my favourite place to be...

Friday afternoon I left Sault Ste. Marie with just my dog and my boat. I drove out to the camp and arrived around 3 pm.

P1030384.jpg

On the property is the old farmhouse, a woodshed, and most importantly a sauna that was built around the time my mother was born.

P1030383.jpg

P1030385.jpg

That evening, after a light dinner I decided to go to a small brookie lake just up the road about 2 km. The fishing was slower than molasses, but the dog and I enjoyed a bug free evening of trolling, a wobbly pop, a cigar, and most importantly peace and serenity.

P1030406.jpg

P1030405.jpg

P1030408.jpg

Friday evening a buddy of mine joined us for a whole lot of wobbly pops, and an evening reminiscing about some of the best backcountry trips we've taken with myself, him, and fellow OFC'er troutologist.

Saturday morning came and we were chomping at the bit to chase brookies...unfortunately the brookies didn't get the memo. We fished from 6am until about 10 with one bite to show for it, so we decided to pack'er in and have some lunch.

That afternoon we went to a lake about an hour into the bush which hosts a population of lake trout and smb. Again, the trout family didn't get the memo. We trolled for a few hours in the blazing sun, then spent the rest of the afternoon swimming, drinking beers, and laughing about just how bad the fishing was! After a few on lake sandwiches we switched our focus over to smallies for the evening, boating 5 smallies between 2-3 lbs (no pics unfortunately as SOMEONE left their camera at camp *cough*...

Sunday was spent fishin' for smallies on a very small inland lake which produces fantastic numbers and size, despite it's relative small size...except for this day...The entire day we managed to boat 14 smallies, none of which were any larger than these few pics...

P1030411.jpg

P1030414.jpg

P1030412.jpg

P1030410.jpg

P1030409.jpg

That night we decided to see just how many beers we could consume...apparently quite a few! hehe! Another friend even drove out just to drink some beers! All in all it was a great end to the summer! Bring on the float fishing!

Cheers!

P1030396.jpg

well i need some 5 lb simcoe smallies at night! perhaps we can trade?

Ha. Yeah they are fun.

Smallmouth bite at night is non-existant right now. They have moved out to the depths. I don't even bother anymore.

mmmmmmmmm sauna

nothing beats it!

I go over to my parents place for one every couple of weeks....my mom is a Finn as well.

I used to be very close to someone from the Soo. Her mom was Finish as well and of course they had a sauna.

You're either a Finn or an Italian up there. Some people are lucky enough to be both. lol.

I really like it up there. Lots of good fishing, good skiing and houses are still reasonable.

Edited by Cudz

Wow. I have seen the place since all the work on it. Shes looking sharp. I can't say the same for winger. Man that kid is unpleasant to look at. Was that first lake you went to the old 2lb trout first point lake?

I miss the Sewer already....we had some trips there. Did wing tell you about our arrival at the tree planting camp last year on the way to GB Lake?

Excellent report and pics Doc!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

I can't believe how calm the water was, the wind always wants to blow 90 mph when I'm in Canada. :rolleyes:

That's a beautiful piece of property you have up there!

I have a Border Collie as well, wonderful animals!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post that great report!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Wow. I have seen the place since all the work on it. Shes looking sharp. I can't say the same for winger. Man that kid is unpleasant to look at. Was that first lake you went to the old 2lb trout first point lake?

I miss the Sewer already....we had some trips there. Did wing tell you about our arrival at the tree planting camp last year on the way to GB Lake?

yeah..first lake was the one of which you speak...and i saw those same tree planting hippies a weekend before or after..it was funny!

and winger is definitely unpleasant to look at, especially after he drinks a case of beer and a pickle jar full of jagermeister!

that night he fell asleep snoring with one eye open! it was by far the most disturbing sight i've ever seen.