Nice day, nice fish...Lot's of details.

Garry2Rs

Buck and I got out for a few hours today because we are currently "between clients."

It's hard for me to understand why every year people seem to stop booking fishing trips after the Labour Day weekend!

This is honestly the best time of year up here. The weather is great, the bugs are gone and most days we have the lakes to ourselves...

Oh yeah...it's also one of the best times to catch big fish!

Today, our destination was a favourite small lake, well off the road, just north of Lovesick and about 15K South of our house.

With the clear weather and mile-high-sky it wasn't a great looking fishing day, but we quickly caught a "limit" of average size fish using drop-shot and shaky head jigs, in deeper water.

However, we switched to the good old wacky worm when we spotted this boat house...

002-5.jpg

The cast I threw was at a very low flat angle to the water.

We watched the worm bounce across the surface, skipping up to the door, like a flat stone, then sinking quietly.

The water here was about 8 feet deep, so I counted slowly to 16, before picking up the slack line.

As the loose coils became taught, I could see that the line was moving across the opening.

I reeled down, then just leaned back to set the hook!

The rod I'm using for worms this year is a G. Loomis spinning rod from there saltwater series. It's a GL3, seven foot, medium light rod that was designed to cast live bait, like shrimp, under a popping cork. The rod is rated for 1/4 to 1/2 ounce baits on 6 to 12 pound line.

Senko's weigh about 3/8 oz. so they are just a little light, but with the weight of the hook, we are probably spot on. This rod has a relatively soft tip, to allow live bait to be cast without tearing it off and to land the bait softly it thin water.

Last winter, while leafing through a G. Loomis catalog, I read the spec's for this rod and thought that it would be great for Senko's!

I'm currently using 6 pound fluorocarbon on it, to see if it will out-fish my old standby, braid-without-a-leader set-up in the super clear water of the North Kawartha Heritage Park lakes. The jury is still out...

The Fluorocarbon I'm using is the new Red Label from Seaguar.

In the past I have always found Fluorocarbon lines to be too wiry and hard to keep on the spool of a spinning reel, especially reels of the smaller sizes that I prefer.

Seaguar calls this a main line as opposed to a leader line, and I think they have tried their best to make it softer...So far so good.

When the rod loaded up I knew I was into a good fish!

Bass boats traditionally have cable steering on their trolling motors which allows you to go from lock-to-lock instantly by rocking your foot from heel to toe. I spun the trolling motor toward open water.

We had to cross a major weed bed in front of the boat house.

I think that you can see it the picture.

After years of using 15 and 20 pound braid on my spinning reels, I have to say I was a little nervous about getting the fish out of cover and into the open water using six pound test line.

I might have helped a little, but between the soft rod tip and the natural stretch of the plastic line we made the trip across the weeds successfully.

Buck went overboard as soon as he saw the big fish so we all did a couple of laps around the boat before I was able to call him off and lip my prize.

001-2.jpg

It weighed in at 4 pounds 4 ounces and measured just a hair under 20 inches without a tail squeeze.

*Note to my friend Misfish (and other little old ladies...)

You will notice that we have cleaned up the "dead" plastic baits from the back corner of the deck since my last post...HAHAHA.

I wouldn't leave that spot until I poked a solid fish out of it. The pictures just screams good fish live here. Bet there was atleast one more in that weedbed.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Harrison