traveling the north shore of Superior

scuro2

IMGP0315.jpg

I spend a week with my mom each summer. This summer I convinced her that we should see something new, no matter how nice Mary lake is by Huntsville.

IMGP0338.jpg

My mom has an eye for beautiful things.

IMGP0327.jpg

My daughter Sara came along and we both appreciated it. 3000 k's gives you lots of time to talk.

IMGP0340.jpg

The furtherest west we stayed was Rossport.

IMGP0321.jpg

And on a day trip we got just outside of Nipigon to a lookout that I had been to 3 years ago. I've travelled all of the major highways of Ontario, except west of Thunderbay. Some other time.

IMGP0343-1.jpg

We saw a lot.

IMGP0404.jpg

I'd like very much to return to this area and stay for a week or two in a few choice areas.

IMGP0329.jpg

This area has a way of soothing your soul.

IMGP0373.jpg

Of course I did some fishing in the mornings.

IMGP0382.jpg

Pike were easy. They hammered rainbow spoons.

IMGP0385.jpg

Harder was fishing river mouths. Simply because there was a mouth, didn't mean there were desirable fish. I did hook into a silvery white bodied fish near here. Dark blue and green on the top. I would have flung it up on the shore but I would have killed it, as we were not making our own meals at this location. This fish was not dogged, but athletic and spirited. I hooked the same fish, or same type of fish several times over two mornings, all looking to be around 5 pounds. Only ever brought it close enough to shore to keep once. Anyone have any idea what sort of fish that could be? Caught it on a cleo. No other fish were biting at the mouths. Lots of fun in a beautiful location.

Edited by scuro2

Scuro...very nice pics!

Did you throw any spoons in at old woman bay?? the coho's start hitting them right about now. The last pic looks like the mouth of the Michipicoten? Correct or no? If it was at the mich...most likely a chinook...no real run of the ho's yet, but an abundance of Chinooks in the 4-8lb range

Edited by anders

A humpie? When I saw them in BC they didn't have that white silver look to them.

salmonapr04.JPG

Looking at this pic from the net, I'd guess coho. That blue green top is what I saw. These fish were totally fresh, very lively, and jittery. The chinooks I've tangled with have all been dogged.