Port Hope

jubaitca

If someone's been to port hope...I was wondering if there was anything going on with salmons or trouts at port hope off the pier? I don't want to be too late for the action this time around.

Also, what time of the day wud be the prime...I can go 24 hrs around the clock now that I have some free time.

You say you have lots of time on your hands, why not get out there and try instead of waiting for others to do your dirty work for you. You have 6 posts in just under a year....all asking for help and not giving any.

Sorry if I seemed like a hoarder to you guys. The reason why I don't very much is because I am still a begenner and all I do in this forum is read some of the fishing reports here once in a while. I am still not an avid fisherman like most of you guys here, partly because I am not very old either. Tha being said I do try to go fishing when I can. I have gone out almost every other weekend. Haven't really been productive though and that's why I don't really post anything cuz I don't have anything spectacular to post. But, I don't think I have wasted my time during those times.

Anyways, this will be the first time I am gonna be trying for salmon and after doing a little bit of surfing I figured port hope was the best place to start. I would have gone last year but I was too late according to one of the bait shops from around the area that I called. I have only watched salmon fishing but have never experienced it myself. And in the weekends I am desperate enough to go anytime of the day.

Enough about my little synopsis of my short and hopefully early fishing career. After reading the article posted I convinced my dad to take me there ... so I did infact make out to the ganny today just to check it out around 2 in the afternoon. Things seemed a little bleak, spent a couple of hours going upstream from near the lake opening...bait shop was closed. Asked a couple of people and they were fishing for trouts. Stopped by the river 2 or 3 times and didn't see anything until we reached the fish sanctuary. Now that was a pleasant sight! Are there other places I should be looking at? There are some really nice videos posted on youtube...wish I saw the same today.

Its a really nice place to fish though that's for sure. It might have been the time of the day I went or because it was too hot today that I didn't see much. I would have stayed much longer but couldn't cuz it was a sudden plan and tommorrow was bakc to work...

Btw I wasn't asking for anyone to go and report back here there findings... well I atleast hope thats not what my initial post got accross :)

Thanks for all your comments..I will try to most more often

What you're doing is a great way to start: go out and see what's happening at the Ganny and see if the fish are running, talk to other fisherman and observe what others are doing. You'll be able to tell who's getting the job done and try what they're doing. Any decent fisherman should be happy to share some knowledge with you. That's what I used to do when I was 13 years old. I'd bus down to the piers and eventually through trial and error I hooked my first salmon. When you see a plan through to success it will be thoroughly satisfying.

I would start on the right hand of Cameco. Take the street assent tot the river. Continue up taking a left, at the T. Keep going along the fence line to the parking lot. Park there and (on Foot) travel up the pier. Go to the light house and start casting Glow-In the dark Cleos. Get the big ones and color but I like Green. I would go there ( start ) at 11pm. Make sure you bring a LONG net, or you will have to walk the thing down the pier. I will be there watching that no YOUNG punks disrespect the area. Good luck, have fun and CLEAN up after yourself.