A visit from former OFNer Curtis

Garry2Rs

OFC's old friend Curtis dropped in for a couple of days of fishing last weekend.

He is without a land-line or internet these days, living way off the highway.

He's hoping to get one of these new cell phone based units and get back on-line soon.

His new place has a private lake and this summer he has been perfecting his drop-shotting.

On the weekend he took the time to show me his latest techniques, but I will let him tell you about them himself.

In the meantime here's a picture from last Saturday in the rain.

Curtis082909001.jpg

I spent a couple of days this week fishing the drop-shot for Smallies.

Yesterday after catching a few one pound fish on the finesse rig I noticed a lot of swirls around a nearby point.

This point is the mouth of a large bay on one side and a little cove on the other.

There was a Rapala DT 6 in Baby Bass on one of the rods so I threw it over there a few times.

Twice I had hook-ups, but lost both.

I assumed that the colour was the problem and that the fish were striking short.

My next try was with a 3 inch Live Target in SM Bass. This bait has a super small lip and I used it as a jerk-bait.

Nothing doing...so I switched to a Live Target natural colour Crayfish and on the second cast hooked up with a heavy fish.

With the Gin-clear water Buck was able to see the fish running under the boat.

He dove in to provide assistance and we played that game where I lead the fish to the opposite side of the boat and he tries to catch me.

086.jpg

On the third lap the fish came close to the surface as we came down the Port side, and using it's momentum, I swung it over the gunnels, just like on TV...grin.

Here are the details:

I apologize to those who only speak metric.

The scale in the picture reads 3lb 3oz. and the fish measured 19.5 inches without a tail squeeze.

001-1.jpg

002-4.jpg

The fish that were rising were taking tiny flies off the surface over the rock point.

The cast that hooked the big fish was 3/4 with the wind, 80 or 90 feet long. It reached way down the bay-side of the point, some thirty feet beyond where it became dry land...The lure landed over about 8 feet of water, and the fish hit within a couple cranks. This side of the point drops from 6 or 8 feet into 16 feet then slowly to 20 feet. The tip tapers into the same 20 feet then quickly drops into 40 feet on the lake side.

The boat, fish and dog action put the rising fish down. We circled the area but couldn't find anymore active fish. We could have checked other points and islands, but it was our dinner time so we will save that for another day.

Garry2R's

Fishing is my favorite form of loafing.

Edited by garry2rs