First Timers on Lake Erie

Familyfisherman

:huh:

So we decided to try Lake Erie for smallmouth. Been tired of watching all the shows and guys hauling up fish after fish with seemingly little effort. I had a client in Stoney Creek (I'm from Barrie) so after meeting with them we decided to head down to Fort Erie and meet up with Terrance from OFC who lives in the area and head out from Crystal Beach launch.

We were armed with all the drop-shot/crankbaits/tubes you could ask for...Terrance brought along minnows and worms -- which I thought was cute...I mean, we were after bruising smallies, not perch...

Anyways, out we go with nothing more than a GPS map chip to show depths/topography.

We began on a cut in 15-20 fow throwing everything we had...moved every 10-15 min...saw a couple, terrance might have had one steal his 7 inch texas-rigged worm, but no fish. Kept moving...kept casting...no fish.

Finally after a couple hours of this we moved way over off the mouth of the niagara river on a hump...terrance resorts to trying minnows (what a kidder) and BAM -- fish on! Nice smallie...

DSC02343.jpg

Well isn't that fluky I think...humph...so we get back to casting...Terrance puts on another minnow...viola!

DSC02344.jpg

So my friend Steve tries a minnow...bang

DSC02345.jpg

Now I'm not a proud man...so I try one as well...yep

DSC02346.jpg

And...

DSC02347.jpg

And on it goes...here's Terrance with the biggest fish of the day.

DSC02348.jpg

And here's the final fish of the day -- ON A TUBE NO LESS :P

DSC02349.jpg

The lake was calm except for large rolls coming through at a regular rate...which unfortunately was too much for Steve, who got sick about 2 hours into our trip...Terrance and I were a bit surprised since we didn't feel much...until we were about ready to go, then Terrance grabbed the rail and let it all go! So we ended the day there figuring if all 3 of us went down that could be troublesome!

Overall we ended up with 15 or 16 fish between 2 and 5 lbs and lost quite a few more. Really a great day out there despite our lack of experience!

If you get a chance give it a try...and don't forget the minnows :)

Kevin

hahaha I've been dying to share this since Wednesday but I forgot my camera. I think I was too excited about going fishing.

Thanks again for bringing me out, and your welcome for the bait! I had all the regular stuff you guys go on about....I wanted to try it since I see everyone catching fish....But we were getting no where. Live bait saved the day for sure!!

There is a University of Arkansas; its where they keep the learnin' books...just in case!

Well, to be truthful... If you have someone from the area go with you, you don't need experience or skill... you have a "guide"!... and guide caught fish are little more than "no counters"! <_<

Roy Posted Today, 08:21 AM

Wow! Good job guys!

I still can't believe there's a university in Arkansas!

You'd be surprised at what you can find down here in the south!... we even started wearing shoes year 'round a couple years ago! :rolleyes:

Radnine Posted Today, 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Familyfisherman @ Sep 1 2009, 09:15 AM)

Oh sorry, I thought you were holding the minnows in your pictures Come further west where we keep the good ones.

Jim

Oh yeah?... is that why we see you holding up so many trophy fish in pics in you many reports?... wait a minute, you don't have that many reports!!! <_<

Oh yeah?... is that why we see you holding up so many trophy fish in pics in you many reports?... wait a minute, you don't have that many reports!!! <_<

Okay, okay. Upon further review the fish have been deemed acceptable.

Well done! And congrats on tackling a new body of water.

Jim

Dawg: Check out the MONSTER walleye in my Huntsville report.