Musky on Senkos

Weeds

I was doing a little smallmouth bass fishing this evening, chucking a 5 inch Senko along the riverbank with my trusty 7 foot St. Croix ML spinning outfit. After not getting a strike during the Senko's initial drop I reeled it in quickly, already thinking of my next cast and the Senko bouncing along the surface at a pretty good clip. I was stunned when close to the bank a Musky smoked it between skips of the Senko, partly because I did not believe there were any Musky in this part of the river and partly because the co-ordination involved in the strike was incredible. I think the musky actually hit the Senko between skips, out of the air, but who really knows as these things happen pretty fast. Fortunately it was a small fish which might account for it's agility, about 26 inches, and the spinning tackle and 10 pound Fluro was up to the job. Had him hauled in, unhooked, gawked at and released in about 2 minutes. Was very cool. My first incidental Musky. Senko's are proving to be surprisingly versatile, in the past two weeks I've caught both small and largemouth on them, assorted panfish, pike, Musky and one mean looking Bowfin on them. I only wish I'd starting using them years ago.

I had what I think was a small muskie strike a white senko on Balsam. I use to get a few catches of 20-30" pike on sparrow using yellow floating power worm. Both times I was fishing for bass. This was before I got addicted to spinnerbait pike fishing.

Edited by Syn

Not on a Senko exactly, but several years ago I did get a 36" musky on a 7" texas rigged power-worm. I was just dragging on bottom and suddenly my line moved 12' in about 2 seconds.

A couple years ago I was dragging a Senko back to the boat when I had a solid hit. I set the hook and almost simultaneously a ~35" musky launched out of the water about ten feet away. He spit it pretty quick (light line = weak hook set) but it was nice to break up the bass monotony.