Questions about fishing The Bay of Fundy.

kedzierski

Okay first off I know this is not about Ontario but I need some help. Let me explain. I am going to visit my parents who live out in New Brunswick. They also happen to live on ocean front property on the Bay of Fundy. I am going to borrow ocean fishing gear from a friend at work, its heavy duty stuff. We are going to be fishing off of the shore I would like to know if anyone has any tips or anything like that to help us out as this will be our first time trying this type of fishing. My dad has told me friends of his at work fish the bay from shore and land small shark, stergens, and the occasional sea bass. So we know there are fish out there to be had. Any info you have might help us along. Thank you all in advance. I will try to take photos assuming we are sucessful.

I went out on a boat with my brothers 3 years ago by Deer Island and we were going for flounder. We didn't have much luck then, it was July. August is better for flounder I hear. We were fishing on bottom with clams. The only things we got were sculpin. I did get something with some weight to it but when I got it close I lost it. Don't know what I had. I heard when the tide is coming in, in St. Martins anyway, they fish from shore for mackeral. They use 3 hooks with tin foil on 'em. Believe it or not, the mackeral hit 'em. They go by in schools. The guys just line the shore sometimes. You could be getting nothing but the guy next to you might be hammering 'em. I only tried for a few minutes but we didn't get anything. Haven't tried it since. Keep meaning to but just go for mostly brookies now. If you're fishing tidal waters, you don't need a license. Depending on where you are, you might get a striper too. Good luck and definately take pics when you're there whether you catch anything or not and post 'em.

The bay is a very beautiful area ...but i might suggest taking a trip up the Mirimichi River and catching some Atlantic salmon ....if you do ....youll need a fly rod ...Ive fished the area from Newcastle all the way to Doaktown....most productive fishing was in Blackville ( red butt green machines) wooly buggers) we didnt have flyrods with us so we went in to the MNR to make sure our pin reels would be acceptable ( which they had never seen before) and after our tutorial on using them they agreed to let us use them ...

the fishing is well worth the price of a burial lot to be able to get a residence fishing license...( you have to own land and a burial plot counts) i paid 150 bucks for mine in 1988 with no intentions on ever using it as a resting place but for the purpose of owning land in NB

Good Luck with the Atlanitcs if you do go up river...

I just got back from a vacation out east. I didn't do any fishing in Fundy though.

One thing to keep in mind when selecting lures is the further into the bay you get, the dirtier the water gets.

Up near Hopewell Rocks, the water is very very muddy.

the fishing is well worth the price of a burial lot to be able to get a residence fishing license...( you have to own land and a burial plot counts) i paid 150 bucks for mine in 1988 with no intentions on ever using it as a resting place but for the purpose of owning land in NB

Good Luck with the Atlanitcs if you do go up river...

What a smart idea! Is that the rule in every province?